• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Urinary Tract Infection

SamT

My poor puppy Charlie (1 yesr old) was sick on Sunday so I brough him to the vet Monday. He was rushed in by the vet because his bladder was blocked. The vet said he had a urinary tract infection and that his kidney is now slightly damaged. The vet said he was lucky I brough him in because if his bladder burst he would have died. Thank god he is ok now.
He is home but has lost control of his bladder, the vet said this is normal because the bladder was stretched.
Has anyone has a dog with this and if so how long will his recovery take?
Any suggestions on how to help him and what to look out for apart from the normal (not weeing, getting sick etc). He is on anti biotics so these can make him a bit sick.
We would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Emma

Sorry Emma, I've no experience of this. But I just wanted to offer you my sympathy and hope that Charlie gets better soon.

So sorry to hear about your ordeal - must have been very stressful for everyone involved. I have lots of experience with UTIs but not the extreme case you had. The main thing to look out for is anything unusual for your dog - obviously the antibiotics are going to make the poor chap feel ill (maybe some dodgy poo or not too interested in food) but as long as he is eating and drinking ok (not excessively) and seems in good form you should be fine. Hope he makes a speedy recovery :xfngr:

I have never had a dog with this but I have a bitch who suffered some bad bruising of her bladder when she was spayed and as a result had trouble controlling her bladder. This took at approx a month to sort itself out completely, gradually getting better over time. I also had some problems when my Cavalier was originally put onto a diuretic to help with fluid on her lungs. She didn't know when she was full (or filled up too fast) and was dribbling a good bit without being aware of it. This took about a month to sort out too, now we have problems getting her to go (she hates the rain and won't go out in the wet :rolleyes:). I know how frustrating it can be - the poor dog isn't doing anything wrong, but often thinks they are, and you have to clean uip pee all the time. I'm afraid I can't be much help with your situation but I'm sure your vet could give you a ballpark time of when this should clear up.

Uti

Thanks for reply lorebringe and MadPipr.

It was very interesting because when Charlie was neutured they had to do a bigger operation because not everything had dropped, they operated very low into his belly. I think this may have left him proun to problems. He is the same as your dog he wont go in the rain either but he was always like that ha ha!!!!

He is doing much better now, back to his happy wigglie self (when Charlie wags his tail his whole bum wags so we call him wigglie butt ha ha). He still wees allot but he has stopped going in the house which is great. Our other dog thought it was allowed or a game because the other night I was on the computer and I turned around and he was cocking his leg against my hall table!!! I nearly died!!

The surgery for an undescended testicle probably wouldn't have damaged the bladder but I suppose it is possible.

I'd ask your vet all the questions you posted here -- they are important questions and should be answered by a medical professional. (y)

Uti

Hey All,
Im back in the vet with Charlie on Tuesday for blood tests so Ill ask loads of questions then. I was so upset when I spoke to the vet on the phone the other day I could hardly think. I was just so glad Charlie was ok.
Thanks for all your replies.
Emma

Back