• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is Soya Milk all right for cavs?

LovesCavaliers

I've started using soya milk and I wondered if it is all right for the boys to have this on cereal?

I have bought goats milk, but it doesn't last very long and goes out of date, as we don't use it. It seems to come in large cartons.

Advice appreciated.

As far as i can remember soya isnt that good for you in that is have very little nutrition, its also low in fat as well as low in everything else so it wouldnt harm them, skimmed milk is far better as it is high in calcium but if you have an allergy to cows milk then yes its better than nothing, try them on a little for a few days, is milk good for dogs in general. ? im not sure, harley loves it, but rarely has it. di

I can use cows milk, but I thought I heard that it wasn't good for dogs. Something about their digestions not being able to handle it. I used to give it to my old cavvies and they loved it.

I'll have a search on google and see what I can find. Thanks for your help.

From what I can see on the google search it seems that dogs are lactose intolerant and it is better for them not to have cows milk.

However, soya milk (fortified) is fine as part of a well balanced diet.

So, as the Murphster loves his porridge and shreddies it will be nice moistened and I read a little honey is good for sweetening.

Personally I would avoid soy products for humans and dogs (for me, outside of using soy sauce as a condiment and I also enjoy tofu in Asian meals occasionally).

Soy is considered an unwanted filler ingredient in dog foods generally. It has also been implicated in radically altered hormone levels in animals.

See: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2006/jul/25/food.foodanddrink

There is no need for dogs to be given milk (as they are lactase intolerant) or soy milk (they have no need for this in their diet, for any reason). Sometimes they are given goat's milk or formula as puppies but dogs would never normally have milk beyond puppyhood (the majority of cats are lactase intolerant too and milk often gives them the runs!).

A very informative link

Thanks Karlin for the link on soya.

There is so much contradictory advice given to people with regards to food and drink, no wonder we don't know what to think.:confused:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...-work-on-an-egg-every-day-scientists-say.html

The latest view on eggs now: It's o.k. to have more than 3 eggs a week and has been for some time - they just omitted to let us know.:mad: See above link.
So, to moisten the boys' cereal it'll be goats milk or water.

Last edited:
Soymilk

Generally speaking, soy milk has been shown to be far better for humans than cows milk, even aside from lactose intolerance issues. I realize it doesn't translate to our four-legged friends often, but the 'alarm' over soy milk in the Guardian article is far from convincing and contraindicated by many recent studies which link it to the longevity of Japanese, for instance (with the presence of dairy a real issue with the health of us Americans).

i wouldn't be so quick to condemn soymilk for Cavs ;)

The Guardian article does go into that issue in some detail (as have other pieces done by other investigative teams including 20/20 in the US) -- the Japanese soy products generally come from a far longer fermentation process and soy is eaten in different formats than used extensively in a highly processed format as in the rest of the world. There may also be some difference in the way Asian populations can tolerate and digest soy as opposed to other parts of the world. It is now difficult to find a processed food *without* soy fillers (even most basic bread loaves from the supermarket -- check labels and see!). There was no argument that soy has not been a healthy part of a Japanese diet for centuries. The problem is that this form of soy is not what is being used elsewhere and the Japanese diet doe not contain massive amounts of soya filler in all sorts of processed foods.

The bottom line though is that no dog needs soy milk in its diet -- it brings no benefits and there is established evidence that it causes problems.

Incidentally and speaking of studies -- there's very little evidence of dairy products being a problem in western diets -- this is another ingredient used for thousands of years in many diets around the world (not all -- and in those places, there can be lactose intolerance). Dairy products remain the major source of essential vitamin D and calcium for most people and is a critical part of diets. There is however a junk science fad to claim that wheat and dairy are the scourges of modern diets... without any studies to show this; it is just claimed as 'fact'. Incidentally, soy is just as common as allergan in children as milk or wheat or eggs or fish (and most kids outgrow these by age 5). And in actual population studies less than 2% of the US population has food allergies/intolerances though there is a current obsession with self-diagnosing allergies and food intolerances. Vets do not think think rates in animals are significantly higher.

The fact that westerners now consume huge swathes of processed foods and snacks, salt, oily foods and sweet foods -- and overeat generally -- is where the real dietary problem lies I think. :)

Back