• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice Please

tilly

Hi my name is Sam. I am new to this we have had our wee tilly for 3 months now and she is 5 months old.
She is such a character, very cheeky and playful we have had no issues with her health at all up until now.

We bought her from an accredited breeder through the Kennel Club. They listed all the health checks that they had done on their breeding stock and advised that they had been MRI scanned for SM and they were clear.
We so had thought there is no way that she could develop this serious condition.

As the past few weeks have gone by she has been doing really strange things. First we heard her yelp really loudly we could not see what she was yelping at but thought she must have bitten her tail.
Then a couple of weeks ago we had her our walking and she let out this mighty cry and would not settle. This happened 3 days in a row, we took her to the vets and he advised that it was anal glad issues as she is constantly nipping at her left hind leg and scooting. She has had anti biotics for this and metacam. 1 week on she still scoots, nips her left hind leg and now biting at her front paws and biting her left hind leg when trying to scratch.
The crying has gone so that is a good sign but something does not seem to be right and I do not know if it was my imagination but I seen her walking and left her left hind leg as if to scratch but she has only done this a few times and you never know when this will happen.

I am following the vets advice and keeping to the anal glad problem but there is something that keeps taking me back to SM.
We did mention this to the vet he has said that he has not seen any cavalier in his time in practice with and dismissed it altogether.

Can anyone suggest why she should be doing this and if they had any experience with a dog with SM that could point me in the right direction. I don't want to be going on months to be then told that she could have SM.

This is our first dog and I am sure I am being a neurotic pet owner but something keeps eating at me, as if I know there is something more serious.
Any help will be most appreciated.

:luv:

I would continue to follow up with your vet when she is having pain and scratching - anal gland problems sometimes return. (I have to take my cavaliers in for anal glands every 8 weeks, as they tend to get too full). Don't let anal gland problems wait, because they can get abscessed, very painful and require surgery.

She may have any of a number of problems besides SM. If you have a video phone or camera, perhaps you could show the vet videos of her symptoms.

Tilly to be Scanned

Hi,

I thank all those who have provided me with support and information about SM.
Many thanks to Margaret, it was such a relief to speak with someone who understood my concerns.
I would also like to thank Nicki, she has been an absolute star. I don't think I would have been able to get the right support without her. She has been very supportive and understanding.
Tilly is to be scanned next Monday and I hope for the best.
My heart goes out to all those owners whose beloved dogs have SM. It is an emotional rollercoaster ride that never seems to stop!!!

I wish you all the best

Sam :p

Sam,
We are the same stage you are....we are awaiting an MRI as Leo was unwell at the weekend. I really hope things work out for you and Tilly is ok.

Much love Mel

So sorry to hear this Sam, I hope you find out soon what is bothering Tilly. Here for you anytime you need to talk about it. :hug:

praying that it isn't sm. Mine was just mr'd 12 days ago and was positive and I'm also watching my 15 mo old Bentley. Have seen him do some weird stuff and I don't know what I would do if I had to go through with this with 2 of them. I truly hope your baby is negative but you are doing the right thing when she is so young. Mine was 5 when diagnosed--misdiagnosed for a very long time. I only wish I had found this board a few years ago and the scenario might have been a whole lot different.

Thinking of you and your family Sam at this difficult time - we really hope it isn't SM, but think you are doing the sensible thing in getting Tilly scanned.

Sam travelled quite a way to see my wondeful vets , who are fully up to date with Syringomyelia, and they referred her to Glasgow. (y)

We will have everything crossed for you, keep us posted - and sending love and hugs :flwr:

Linderbelle, I'm so sorry you didn't find us until recently - but thank goodness you did now, and your wee one can finally get the right treatment. I truly hope that Bentley isn't suffering with SM...

Mel, good luck with Leo - thinking of you too.

Back