• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leo to have MRI...Im worried

meljoy

Hi,
Ive been worried about Leo having SM symptoms before but this afternoon was awful. We have had a great day at the forest and after bathing Leo on return he suddenly started "screaming" for no reason.
He was limping very badly and would not weight bare on his right front foot.
It was so distressing as he was screaming so badly. I called the emergency vet who said to bring him straight to the surgery. She asked me if I'd heard of SM!
By the time we got to the vet Leo was fine, running around, wagging his tail and very excited. The vet said she was 99% sure this was SM but he would need an MRI. She's going to refer him to the neuro centre tomorrow.

So now we wait. Im terrified but deep down Im sure its going to be bad news.
Think of us as I need good thoughts!
Mel:(

that is so strange! Perhaps others with SM dogs can weigh in on his behavior. sorry you are having these worries.

I'm so sorry & I just hope there is some other reason for this.
PM me if there is anything I can do.

Margaret C

I'm in tears here Mel, I have always feared this for Leo with him being the closest relative to Dylan that I am still in touch with. It's the most scary thing when they scream.

It's easily missed but did Leo seem dazed before the screaming? This is what happened with Dylan. I put his food down, he looked spaced out, I lifted his bowl. I put it back down 10 seconds later, he ate it. Then he came to me jumping off and on my lap screaming. In those days Dylan hardly ever sat on my lap, only if he was frightened, like when he back snorted. I have elevated his bowls now. It might help to know in Dylan's case, he only had this screaming fit once.

When will you be getting the MRI? Phone me if you need me.

I'm so sorry. Ilsa had screaming fits like that, and she also sometimes held her right front paw in the air at the same time. Several times it lasted 20 minutes. It is the most terrible thing I've ever seen. Usually she seems shaken for several hours afterwards, then suddenly snaps out of it and is normal again. Before I know it was SM, I thought she had a bad leg and would try to see what hurt afterwards and would get no reaction.

I hope it's something else! Good luck with the MRI, I'll be thinking about you

Jen and Ilsa

Hi,

I am sorry to hear about Leo and I hope all goes well for you. I have my fingers crossed for you.
I'm to worried about my wee pup Tilly and having quite a fight on my hands to get the vet to refer me to check Tilly for SM. It is good to hear that your vet has picked this up really quickly.
I wish you the best of luck when it comes to Leo's MRI.

Sam

Thanks for your support everyone, Pauline and Margaret I'll be in touch. Leo is fine today, infact by the time I got him to the vet an hour after it happened he was his old self, it was as if nothing had happened. He didnt seemed fased or worried at all. He was back on my lap demanded attention and cuddles as usual last night.
The vet is going to refer him today for the MRI so I'll just wait.

I didnt sleep well last night as Im now worried for his future.......at least I have the support here and that means so much.

Love Mel XX:(

i feel for each and everyone of you with dogs with sm, I cant imagine how you live with knowing it will get worse with no treatment available, and how much courage you have to keep trying to do your best for you pets, lots of people would just give up. di

Dylan had two short screams today which probably turned out to be wind. I'm not making light of the situation but I do wish for you it was something less serious than SM. Given the history and his pedigree, I think you are right to get an MRI.

Phone me if you want a chat or anything. :flwr:

Thanks again everyone. Pauline I'll call you when I get a spare minute to chat.
Im living in fear Leo will start screaming again and when he runs around getting excited Im trying to calm him down....although I dont want to take any fun away from him!

Mel X

Back