• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

IMPORTANT: Bateson Enquiry on Dog Breeding: a Call for Evidence

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Press release out today. Please contribute if you have something to say -- take time to draft a nice clear letter and if you have a relevant personal experience to share with this committee, positive or negative, please do so. Deadline is May 15 but do not put it off and forget!!

Once again, kudos to Jemima Harrison, whose Pedigree Dogs Exposed has caused much of the activity around these issues to (finally!) happen. Don't miss this opportunity to have your voice heard! :)

Press release: mid-day, Monday 16 February 2009

Dog Breeding – a Call for Evidence

Professor Sir Patrick Bateson, Chairman of the Independent Inquiry into dog breeding, has invited any and all interested parties to submit evidence to the Inquiry.

He said,

“Our aim is to develop practical recommendations that will significantly benefit both pedigree and non-pedigree dogs. It is vital therefore that we receive evidence from a very wide field. Many people in animal welfare charities, dog breeding and show societies, veterinary and government organisations and in academia have a wealth and breadth of knowledge and expertise on this issue.”

“I would urge everyone with an interest to visit the Inquiry website www.dogbreedinginquiry.com and let us have their response as soon as possible.”

Clarissa Baldwin, Chief Executive, Dogs Trust and Caroline Kisko, Kennel Club Secretary added: “In the last few months there has been much debate and many suggested ideas about how best to secure the future health of all dogs. Now is the time for people to commit these thoughts to paper and to support Professor Bateson’s Inquiry by submitting evidence. This is essential to ensure that resulting recommendations reflect the widest breadth of expertise available to the panel.”

Farming and Environment Minister Jane Kennedy said:

“This is an issue of great concern to many people. I think everyone wants to ensure that breeding is carried out safely and responsibly and I look forward to seeing the practical recommendations from Sir Patrick’s inquiry.”

Notes for Editors

1. The terms of reference for the Inquiry and guidance on how to submit evidence can be found on the Inquiry Website www.dogbreedinginquiry.com. The secretary to the Inquiry can be contacted at [email protected] or at The Independent Inquiry into Dog Breeding, PO Box 682, CAMBRIDGE, CB1 0LY. The deadline for responses is 15 May 2009.

2. Professor Sir Patrick Bateson, FRS, is emeritus Professor of Ethology (the biological study of behaviour) at the University of Cambridge and is President of the Zoological Society of London. His main research interests are the behavioural development of animals and he has written and lectured extensively on animal behaviour and animal welfare. He conducted a research project for the National Trust on the behavioural and physiological effects of hunting deer with hounds; on the strength of his report stag-hunting was banned on National Trust property.

3. The Inquiry has been initiated and funded jointly by the Dogs Trust and the Kennel Club but operates independently of both organisations.

Just a reminder that the deadline is now fast approaching for this. For anyone who feels intimidated by the format I am sure the committee will value anyone's input from the UK, or with dogs from UK breeders. (y)

I believe the findings from this Call for Evidence are due March 2010. Did anyone partake in this?

I believe a few of us did.
The forms were not very user friendly so I struggled a bit with the format.

Talking about using your voice

There was no way I was going to let this one slip by, I have a voice and I used it ;)

I hope people have listened to the interviews on the Dog World website
http://www.dogworld.co.uk/home.aspx

The interviewer was less than challenging, she was practically feeding Caroline Kisko the answers.

Caroline herself spoke dismissively about................'individuals with no expertise getting the same profile as breed clubs who know what they're talking about' and 'one bad experience does not make someone an expert.'

So arrogant, that is you & me she is talking about.

If only a collective view is valid, perhaps there should be an organisation called 'Pet Owners United', for when the issue is revisited in a year's time?

The interviewer was less than challenging, she was practically feeding Caroline Kisko the answers.

Caroline herself spoke dismissively about................'individuals with no expertise getting the same profile as breed clubs who know what they're talking about' and 'one bad experience does not make someone an expert.'

If only a collective view is valid, perhaps there should be an organisation called 'Pet Owners United', for when the issue is revisited in a year's time?

Don't you know Margaret she knows each of us individually; she knows all about our experience's, intellect, our decades of experience with the breed etc etc then she judged us clueless. How else would she come to make such a wise, enlightened, well informed comment :rolleyes:

I can't open the videos on dog world, Margaret can you please explain about the issue being revisited in a year's time? many thanks.

I have just listened to this interview "Individuals Just Individuals" one bad expereince! How dare she!

Important: Bateson Enquiry on Dog Breeding :a Call for Evidence.

I would like to mention ,after I read on the UK CKCS CLUB Web Site, about the Club only accepting Cavalier Puppies from Cavalier Breeders who had a Current Certificate of Heart and Eye Tested Parents, this would be about a month ago, I phoned the Kennel Club, and spoke to a person high up in the KC Hierarchy,asking why the KC could'nt do the same on their CKCS Puppy Register, was told ,NO, they had not the facilities.

I then mentioned about the worth of their Accredited Breeders Scheme, saying that there were so few Cavalier Top Breeders on it, answer ,that hopefully in years to come there would be more, I said that some of the Cavalier Breeders ' excuse for not being on the ABS List was because of Puppy Farmers, the answer was that the KC is hoping to get a lot more Puppy Farmers on it ,and through time be able to control their Cavalier Breeding Programs, Pigs Might Fly, comes to mind.

It was the most depressing Phone call I have heard about our Breed,to me ,I was all about Lip Service for our Cavaliers, OK, the KC are giving money for Research into Cavalier Health Problems, but they are not getting to the Nitty Gritty of the Cavalier Health Troubles, talk about being in an Alice in Wonderland situatation, that sure was the impression I got, that seems to be what Margaret is saying about C, Kisco's interview.

I really do think that the time has now come when we Pet Cavalier Owners now.
take matters into our own Hands,.

Any Ideas.?

Back