• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Don't Know where to Post this Karlin Please Help.

psucavs

So does anyone cut their cavs coat back during the summer. I've been wanting to try it. I got back from the vet today and she said that helping keep Amanda cool, especially during the summer will help reduce her outbreaks (epilepsy). I love that short puppy length coat and I know that English Springers are cut for hunting, but has anyone done it with their fuzzy babies? I just want Amanda to be happy and have less outbreaks.

:confused:

Lots of people cut their coats back. I personally think it's a shame to cut it right back just for the sake of easy grooming but if it's for medical reason I would reluctantly do it.

I've never heard of it being good for an epileptic dog but my daughter is epileptic and is always feeling hot. At school she had a pass to allow her to take her jumper off without asking permission first, it was unbearable for her to be too warm. So maybe there is some benefit in it for an epileptic dog.

Last edited:
I've seen a few Cavaliers with their coat cut. Maybe you could take her to a groomer that does Cocker Spaniels? They have their coat cut back, but the skirt and feathering left on as far as I can see. If it will help reduce the number of seizures it would be worth a try.

If it was necessary for medical reasons then I suppose so but get it done by a professional groomers and not by the vet. The groomer will at least be able to keep the feathering nice around the ears, legs and tail which will keep the overall look of the dog cute even if the main coat is short.

Prince was recently groomed in the vets. I am still so annoyed about it. Not what I wanted at all. Its been nearly 3 weeks since it was done and it is starting to grow back so we will make the effort to keep it well groomed ourselves in the future.

Anyway, I digress (very bitter about the haircut). If it is medically necessary then fair enough but get it done by a professional.

I cut my Cavaliers coat short every Summer, she is so fuzzy that she overheats is the warm weather (not saying that we get crazy heat in Ireland but she soes have problems in the heat) and has collapsed a few times from it. When we are done she is light as a feather and gets a new lease of life from being so cool. We also thin and layer my Cockers coat to keep him cool.

If you are not confident doing it yourself then get a professional to do it (don't want your doggie to look patchy and wierd!) but make sure you explain in detail what you are looking for and you should be ok.

We have personally not had to cut our dogs coat, he is not a hairy cavalier, we have seen some that look awful cut, but for medical reason you would have to do what is best for the dog.

I have to get one of my cavaliers clipped and groomed, because her coat is much too thick and long, totally different than my other two cavaliers' coats. We take her to her breeder, who also has a grooming business, and she looks lovely afterwards.

I always had Max trimmed in a modified puppy cut because he was a tri with a lot of black and would get miserable in our Ohio summers. We don't have central air and every year he would watch me bring up the bedroom window air conditioner and watch me put it in and then lay on the bed waiting for me to turn it on LOL. I took him to a groomer to have it done and was very specific about what I wanted because a previous groomer had just about scalped him. I definitely don't like the very short puppy cut. They look like a shorn lamb!

For Bailey I get a very modified cut, more like a trim than a puppy cut. He is a Blenheim and does not seem to feel the heat the way Max did.

I guess it just boils down to comfort for your dog being the most important.

DeeDee
mom to Bailey and Mollie

My dog Bailey has epilepsy but here in Ireland we dont't really have a summer as such.

I do find if the heating is on high, Bailey sprawls out in the cold tiles to cool down. He has a very light feathery coat anyway, Holly on the other hand is the opposite very thick coat but still snuggles up under the blankets with us.

Is Amanda on meds?

Yea she is on meds, but they don't always work. She has almost built up a resistance to them it seems. I've modified her diet and she only gets organic boiled chicken/lamb/beef and rice with broth and a bit of kibble...lucky girl eats better than me at times. That has really helped, but the vet up here, PSU has an AMAZING Vet program, recommended I try to keep her as cool as possible especially during the summer. I have never cut her so I don't really know what to even ask for. Would a groomer know what a "puppy cut" is on a Cavalier?

(y)Thanks for all the great responses.

maybe take a picture with you of what you want done, kind of like what you do when you get a new style for yourself.

We will clip Emmie when we RV this summer as that beautiful long coat will pick up every pine needle in the forest! RV camping with five dogs makes the summer grooming a little overwhelming, so summer short is in.

It seems such a shame to cut the coat. I have been told that if a ruby has its coat cut it will never grow back the same colour or texture. Obviously her quality of life is more important than vanity though. If it was me though, it would be an absolute last resort. Would love to see photos.

Back