Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ted diagnosed with SM today

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ted diagnosed with SM today

Our dog Ted who is 14mths old got his mri today and has been diagnosed with SM, they say it's a very mild form of it at present and they feel he is a very good candidate for surgery. We are booked in for Thursday week.

Should I be positive about this? I have read up a lot about this and I know there is no cure. I was very upset when we got the news today, (I think I scared the vet, I was already flooding the practice when he got his sedative injection and he fell asleep in my arms)

I know this might work and reduce his symptoms, I know it could make them worse, it could make them alright for a while and then worse. One of the questions I never really asked the vet was what's the life expectancy of a Cavalier when the surgery works and when it doesn't work.

It kills me to say this but if my Ted is in pain I have to be sensible and think about putting him asleep, how can I justify keeping him alive in pain?? I don't want to have to do it as I would be inconsolable but it's just not fair.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry Ted was diagnosed with SM...there are several people on this board who are going through this right now, having just found out their dog has it, and at least 1 or 2 people who have gone with the decompression surgery...I'm sure they will reply to your post. I don't really have any advice, but at least it was caught early so you can treat it right away. Good luck, and keep us posted on Ted
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry sorry to hear about Ted.
    This is so awful, it must have been hard to go with surgery as the outcome is not gauranteed.
    I hope all goes well with the surgery.

Best Wishes

Sam

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry to hear about Ted. It's so sad he is so young I hope the surgery goes well on Thursday. Thinking of you.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

14 months old? Have you contacted your breeder? I would never want to return a puppy, but you might really want to have a long chat with your breeder. 14 months old is very young for major problems and...well I guess you get the point. At least look into it. I'm so sorry for Ted.

Everything goes well.

Post Thanks / Like

SM is such a devastating diagnosis. Riley had decompression surgery last June, 2008 and is doing well. She will never be complely normal, but she seems happy and content. I don't know if I've prolonged her life by doing the surgery, but at this point that seems like a moot point to me. At the time she was diagnosed I felt emotionally that I had no option but to try every thing I could to give her a better quality of life. I'm also aware of the fact (and thankful) that I could afford the surgery and was not faced with the awful dilemma of trying to scrimp and save for a procedure with no guarantees. At this point, I have no regrets about doing the surgery. It's a long recovery - but I think it was worse on me than Riley. During her recovery is when I questioned every day whether I was doing the right thing, and spent many days just crying over it. But, I'm happy with my decision and I will cherish each day she is with me. Since surgery was strongly recommended for her, I think I would always question my decision if I had chosen not to do the surgery, whereas now, I am totally at peace with it. Like you though, I wish someone could give a more definitive answer about expected life spans post-op. Good luck and I will be thinking of you and Ted and wishing for the best.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of you and wishing Ted good luck on thursday.
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

I'll keep Ted in my thoughts on Thursday, I hope all goes well
    Elaine and Cody

Post Thanks / Like

Abbey was diagnosed 12 days ago with sm and I did ask that question. I was told that sm was not what would kill her. She would probably live the normal life espectancy which with cavaliers isn't that old. She has a heart murmur so who knows. We also have opted to do the surgery only to keep it from progressing. Time will tell on what it does for her present symptoms. We also couldn't take the risk of not doing the surgery to have it progress to things like falling over or seizures all the time etc. At that point its too late. I know what you are going through as we're in about the same time frame here. Our surgery is on the 2nd. In regards to being so young my dear Abbey had a seizure 2 weeks after getting her and I contacted the person we got her from and they wanted to take her back--I couldn't have returned her for nothing. I was in love from day 1. We also got her from the newspaper and she came from Slovakia--yea we were dumbies BUT the neurologist said to me in his exact words "you saved her". I would contact the breeder no matter what as she/he needs to know. Hang in there--easy for me to say when this is the first day I haven't cried--nope take that back --watched Claire's video and was in tears. Thinking of you and wish you were closeby and I'd give you a great big hug. Also, at this point don't be thinking about putting him to sleep etc. There are meds etc. and take one day at a time. Try to think positive and believe me I know thats very hard. Its so scarey--the brain.
    Linda, Georgia, USA
    Winston--shih tzu-male, Darby female tri, Bentley male blenheim and Chelsea, black-tan
    Abbey my beloved tri who is so embedded in my heart--RIP Sweet Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your messages ladies, I will be contacting the breeder to let her know what has happened to Ted. He did come with a full bill of health when he was a puppy but I suppose how do you know they are going to develop sm?

I really hope I am doing the right thing by having surgery, the recovery period seems quite harsh. I am suprised by how upset I am, if this is what it's like now I can only imagine what I will be like when it's Ted's time to go.