Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ted diagnosed with SM today

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ted

Having only found out last week about my Charlie having SM., I know just what you are feeling. Im so, so sorry. I must say, I am very pleased with Charlies reaction to the Gabapentin hes on.All the licking & chewing etc have stopped & hes very bright & seems to be without pain. I would not go down the route of surgery but the difference is my dog is 7yrs next month & yours is only baby,we each have to do what we feel is right for our particular dog, I feel. I shall be thinking of you when he has his op. Be brave for him . Lots of good wishes.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and so sorry to hear about Ted. My dogs were diagnosed last November. Ginger has compression and is in pain, while Charley isn't in as much pain and has a syrinx that has filled about 90% of his spinal cord. The neurologist can't believe the lack of pain while having a syrinx that large, it just goes to show how devastating it can be. Ginger has been on gabapentin and it doesn't seem to be effective. Both of them will be going into surgery sometime late March early April as I'm doing some fundraising, etc.

Hang in there.......and please keep us posted.

Bernie-
    Bernie
    Ginger Charley

Post Thanks / Like

Hi ladies

Silly question but when they are biting and licking but not making any noises would the dog be in pain. Does the pain only really show when noises and yelps would be made during these actions?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Just wanted to send my love and good thoughts. We are waiting for an MRI at the moment. The vet called today to say she knows of a vet within travelling distance of me who is doing a study into SM at the moment and is looking for Cavaliers. If I agree to the study they will MRI Leo for free.
    I want to talk to him first to see what the study involves.
    Hope all goes well on thursday, will be thinking of you.

Mel X

Post Thanks / Like

From reading all your replies it seems as though the mri's and the operations are quite costly, do you have pet insurance at all? I have it with Allianz and it's €19 per month and they have covered his mri and his operation.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately our insurance does not cover hereditary or congenital defects or diseases.
    Bernie
    Ginger Charley

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mrs Crilly!
    I'm sorry to hear that Ted has been officially diagnosed.Can you or Ste Pm me with the name of the neurologist you were referred to.I'm going to ask my vet to refer us asap to Vet college as we've ruled out allergies,fleas,mites and ear infection.We have the allianz petplan as well.
    I suspected about 10 weeks ago that all was not right and things seem to be deteriorating rapidly.She's lost the ability to jump on the furniture unaided and gets long bouts of scratching a couple of times a day.We really need to rule out SM at this stage.She turned two on 1 st January.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

I will be wishing for the best for you and Ted. This must be very hard for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Fiona. Just thinking of you ALOT today as I know today was Ted's surgery. Please post when you're able and e-mail me also. You're all in my thoughts and prayers. I'm right behind you as you know as Abbey has surgery in 4 days--on monday.
    Linda, Georgia, USA
    Winston--shih tzu-male, Darby female tri, Bentley male blenheim and Chelsea, black-tan
    Abbey my beloved tri who is so embedded in my heart--RIP Sweet Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't realised you'd scheduled the surgery so soon Fiona.Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery and a successful outcome.
    Sins