• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ted diagnosed with SM today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

My little Molly was diagnosed last December, she was only 18 months.
We were absolutely devastated. I totally understand how you are
felling and wish you all the luck.

Hi all

Surgery today, the vet has called to say that eveything went well, I will be hopefully collecting him later on, I will give you an update later when I know more xxxx

I am bad bad person, Ted is in lot of pain, he is staring into space, then every half an hour he yelps a bit, he is so unresponsive to me, I am lying down on the floor with him. I feel like the worst person in the world, I was not prepared for this.

Fiona I private messaged you and also sending you an e-mail. I wish you were closer so we could talk by phone but international is so dang expensive.

mrs crilly you are far far from a bad person, you are doing your very best for your baby. im so sorry to hear about ted, i will be thinking about you & hope you get chance to post an update soon. i had to leave my girl at the vets this morning for a minor procedure & ive been in bits all day (she's asleep just now) so i know a tiny bit of what youre going thro'. try to stay strong & fingers crossed tomorrows a better day

Mrs Tilly if you were a bad person you would not be lying down next to Ted comforting him at this time so you mustnt think that.

I really hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Mel:xfngr:

Fiona. I know we're busy messaging back and forth here as we've been talking for awhile before the surgery because we are in the same boat. I don't even know what country you are in so could you please post that as there might be somebody close to you that has gone through this that can help you through this. I haven't been through what you are going through but have read and read and read the past many weeks and I know in just a few days I will be going through what you are going. I also feel for you as you know because Abbey will be in the hospital for probably 4 days and here you are dealing with this just a few hours later after his surgery. Just the difference between countries and I was in Europe for 24 days in Sept-Oct and was in 10 different countries and like our tour director said "its different". Doesn't mean its right or wrong because its one way in one country and another way in another. Just plan different.

If there is anybody close to Fiona that has gone through the surgery maybe you can help her through this as I have been e-mailing her also and my heart aches for her. She said she wasn't prepared for this at all and she's plain going through hayull right now so again Fiona where are you--what country etc. I really feel your pain right now and alot of us do on here--we're all just plain people who love this breed and these guys are like our children.

Hang in there hun. Take it one day at a time and you will get through this and again Ted is sooooooooooooooo lucky to have such a wonderful Mom like you.

Riley, my black and tan girl, had SM surgery in June, 2008. The absolute worst days are right after surgery. You question every decision you have ever made about Ted. You'll wish you had him diagnosed earlier, you'll wish he were never diagnosed, you'll wish you had never subjected him to surgery, you'll barter anything for him to look at you without pain in his eyes, you'll feel like the worst owner in the world. You'll spend days in tears just looking at Ted hoping he'll give you a sign that he's o.k. You won't want to leave him even for an hour. The recovery is hard on us, the owners, because we let our minds run away with every little thought until it becomes something of great magnitude. Ted loves you, he does not hate you, he does not think you are a bad person. He appreciates that you are with him. Remember, a large part of his unresponsiveness is not becuase he's angry, but that he is loaded up with pain medication. It does get better and easier. Gradually, you will begin to see the spark that tells you that Ted is still there. It's faint at first, but gets stronger with each passing day, each passing week. Those of us with SM dogs - both those who have had surgery and those who haven't - as well as every cavalier lover who knows that these dogs are more than dogs to us - are here for you - probably the only ones who absolutely know what you're feeling and the agony you are in right now. Let us know how we can help you. Stay with us and talk to us.

9:00 on the eastern coast and assuming its probably about 2-3 where you are--I hope you are getting a little rest. Love My Cavaliers said it all. I'm sure in about a week I will be here posting everything you are and feeling everything that Loves My Cavaliers said also. Just know we are all here for you. Please post in the a.m. and let us know how you and Ted are doing. I know you sent me pictures of Ted and I said the same thing--he's loaded up with pain meds so he's not in pain. Thats the good thing. He's just plain drugged up and both my hubby and I could tell that in the pictures. Hugs Fiona. One day at a time and I care and have you in my prayers tonight.

I must admit I'd got an awful shock to read you were home on the same day Ted had SM surgery.Do you have to take him back for check up? How are you both this morning.You must be totally exhausted.
Sins

Hi Sins

I know I think that they do things a lot different over here than they do in the states, we have the 'ah sure he will be fine' attidude but they seem to be more cautious over the pond. I think that Ted should have been kept in for the night, now that I have seen the state that he was in.

My neighbour said she would check up on him at 10 so I am just awaiting a text from her.

Oh my God :eek: :eek: :eek:! Your dog had SM surgery and is home THE SAME DAY and is now home alone? :yikes Who did the surgery -- a vet or a neurologist? :confused: It should have been a neurologist. What sort of advice did they give for aftercare? This sounds totally inappropriate and irresponsible to have released a dog in this condition. I cannot say enough how truly alarmed I am that this dog was sent home the same day it had this invasive and serious surgery. How many times has this person done this involved and delicate surgical procedure? I do not know a single neurologist or neurosurgeoen who would send a dog home in less than 5 days and the NORM is 7-14 days and very careful in-hospital supervision!!!

Please do not name the individual or practice here but I would get this dog back IMMEDIATELY for proper care and supervision ideally to the UCD vet school. Can you PM the details of this situation and who did the surgery?

I stress that am not at all blaming you for this at all as how would you know what to do; you need the guidance of a professional; but I am absolutely shocked to hear al this -- that you have your dog home, that they didn't say he needs continuous supervision at this crucial stage... and am wondering who the hell did this surgery. :(

I'm sorry, I must have misread the post that stated Ted was home the day of or day after surgery. Having lived through this experience with Riley 8 months ago, I can unequivocally state that I would never have wanted Riley home from the hospital until the day she did come home - which was at least 5 days post-op. She had an I.V in that entire time and was being monitored for infection, hydration, level of pain, return of proper functioning of her gastrointestinal track, and neurological status - something no lay person should ever be asked to do. Even when I went to visit her in the days post-op when she was hospitalized, she had no interest in much of anything. Just from looking at the incision, these dogs must be in an excrutiating amount of pain. Riley had a fentanyl patch on for pain relief. Because it is an opiate, she needed to be monitored for pain relief and side effects. Medication dosages may need to be adjusted according to how the dog tolerates them also. When she did return home, she was still pretty out of it and I would not leave her side. If I couldn't physically be there, someone else from my family was with her. Even at night, I had her sleep in her crate right next to my bed. I felt that the crate was a safer place for her than in bed with me.

I hope you can get professional help in this. No wonder you were hysterical on the floor beside poor Ted! However it wasn't you who was the bad mother, but the practice that sent him home prematurely! He should never have come home. He still shouldn't be home in my opinion. To echo Karlin, please don't take any of this as blaming you. We just want what's best for Ted and you in the long run. Let us know what happens.

Please don't feel you are a bad mother, far from it in my opinion. You are doing the very best you can for Ted. I hope that he is starting to feel better, I am sure it won't be long before you see an improvement. I have been thinking of him and you all day. He won't associate what he is going through as being your fault - he will just soak up the love you are giving to him.

Best of luck and hang on in there.:flwr::flwr:

Fiona: Have sent you a few e-mails and going to try in here. As you can see alot of us are worried about Ted and you and your husband also. Concerns me as I haven't gotten an e-mail from you since you left work--haven't gotten one since I got up this morning which was in the middle of the night for me in regards to time change. As I see it right now its probably either around 8-9 p.m. and no message from you since this a.m. Please let us all know how Ted and you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back