• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Best thing for dry skin?

murphy's mum

I noticed tonight that Misty has some dry skin, it's a little flakey along one side of her body. She has been scratching at it a little, but it's not sore or anything.

Is there a supplement I can give her? Or something to improve her dry skin?

She gets fed Royal Canin Mini, along with Murphy, and once or twice a week some wet food as a treat. They both get fish a few times a month as well. This has been the same since we got her in December, but she's never had dry skin before. And suggestions? :)

Well, this might seems strange, but my guys got rid of their flaky skin and itchies when I started using Isle of Dogs shampoo, the number 10. It is recommended for cavaliers. It has cold pressed primrose oil in it and really conditions. I have to wash Bandit's tummy and legs every day, sometimes several times a day (he pees on himself) and it is gentle enough that it doesn't bother his skin at all to do so. They have a website IODogs.com
I tried fish oil, but it gave my dogs diarrhea to do so. The shampoo has been the charm.

If it gets any worse, see the vet. Could be some form of dermatitis or also rabbit mites. Lily always has dry flaky skin down the middle of her back -- doesn't seem to bother her much though. The vet says it is mild dermatitis, not really treatable. She gets salmon oil and a good diet and nothing much helps.

Yea. We're keeping an eye on it, and on Murphy's skin:)

I ordered some salmon oil last night, and some fishy treats of Fish4Dogs, so hopefully it will get here soon:xfngr:

I take it I should just intoduce the salmon oil very slowly to their diets, I'm thinking it could have a laxitive effect?

She gets salmon oil and a good diet and nothing much helps.

Have you tried Flax seed oil? Teddy has some in his food everyday and it has improved his health alot (Teddy was a puppy mill rescue). He had the WORST skin, poor baby, and would constantly scratch at it, but one day he got into my health smoothie. (Flax seed, Flax seed oil, ice, cranberry juice 100% juice, blueberries, and some strawberries both frozen and blended) and I put about 2,500 mg of flax seed oil in it. Little boy LOVES my drinks but with the acid in the cranberries I've just been putting some oil on his food. Recommended dose is like 3000mg a day for humans, so I give him something like 50-100mg. His coat is super shiny, and his overall health has improved at least to me. Alot of people compare Flax Seed Oil and Salmon Oil so if by any chance one works, try the other. Just my 2 cents... Hope your baby feels better.

:paw::lotsaluv::paw:

Well, we started them on the Salmon Oil this morning, so hopefully we'll see some improvement.

We also bought Jerky and Biscuits for Fish4Dogs, it was nearly a fight with the cats to see who could get them first LOL. But they went down a storm to, which is great as they are healthy:)

Faith has dry skin too . . . she actually gets these little bumps and they end up going away and leaving large flakes of skin there afterwards. I took her to the vet for it and she said just to wash with a medicated hydrating shampoo. I did, and it didn't help.. so I just have a flakey dog :rolleyes:

I do give salmon oil sometimes and both the dogs love it. Good luck and let me know how it works out ;)

Back