• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I feel like I'm in jail

Totally and absolutely understandable Claire. I think about you all of the time. What you experienced was such an incredibly traumatic event I'd have been surprised if it hadn't affected you like this. You've really gotten some great advice above. I love the advice to start out slowly and the "tapping". I know that after Shelby was attacked I was absolutely petrified to go back to the same place. But we had to do it. I had to keep reminding myself that it was the dog not the place. Of couse, it's easy to tell you something but so much harder to actually do it. You know, I won't go back to that particular place without my friend and her GSD. I'm just terrified about a repeat. I now carry my pepper spray with me all of the time and I'm always hyper-alert. What you are feeling is a real and actual feeling...it's not all in your head. You most definitely are experiencing PTSD. I hope everyone's suggestions help you to gradually come around. In the meantime, don't worry about Cara not getting her walkies, give her some extra cuddles at home, maybe toss a ball around the house for her. I'll bet what she wants more than anything is just to have you close by. You'll get through this, I just know you will. You are a much stronger woman than you realize.

Still think of you often Claire and so sorry you are going through this...Offer still there to walk with you if you want even just in your own area.

In the meantime take care of yourself and just play with Cara in the house or back garden.

Hi Claire,
I was very sad to read about what happened to Minnie. I can only imagine what you are going through. Im sure it will take time to get over the loss and also the trauma of what happened. Give yourself time and dont put extra pressure on yourself to get out for long walks or even any walks. The only suggestion I can make is if some of us from Dublin organise a big cavalier walk somewhere and maybe with our support you will be able to go and this may help you. The park in ardgillian co dublin has a big field at the back and I have ofen gone there with our dogs and have never met anyone else walking.
Take care.
Emma

Hi Claire,

Just wanted to offer my support - I can't imagine how terrifying that day was and how on-guard you must still feel. I wanted to tell you though, that your reaction, while it feels so unnatural to you right now, is actually a very natural reaction. When something horrible and totally unexpected happens to you, it's unfair to expect that you have the same response as if something routine and mundane had occurred. Please do not be hard on yourself for feeling out of sorts. One of the hardest things about having post-trauma reactions is that they feel so scary and out of control - so unlike how you're used to feeling. You are not alone in feeling the way you do. The reason why there is so much research about post-trauma distress and why there are so many resources out there is because so many people experience many of the same feelings you describe. There are many therapies out there - from talk therapy (cognitive behavioral therapy is shown to be very successful), to EMDR (similar to "tapping"), to those that combine medication (such as a beta blocker) and talk therapy. A trusted doctor who knows you should be able to make further recommendations, but please know you have our support!:flwr:

Back