Thread: A Bad Day

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Bad Day

My Spangle is having a bad day. She was diagnosed with sm last Nov, she is 14 months old and such a sweetie.
    She`s on Gabapentin, Prednislone (every other day) and Codeine. This morning she was very bad scratching her head and crying and she has spent most of the day asleep. I just feel so low, as she seems to be getting worse much quicker than I expected.
    Some days I feel I can cope better than other days. Does anyone else feel like that?
    Christine
    Christine
    Spangle born 24/11/07 (Blen)
    Poppy (Blen)who went to Rainbow Bridge aged 13 and a half.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Christine,

I can't offer advice regarding SM, I just want to say I am sorry to hear what you and Spangle are going through and I hope many more good days are on their way
    Mum to Tallulah (blenheim)
    Three Precious Cavalier Angels in Heaven, until we meet again girls...xxx

Post Thanks / Like

same here, no advice just lots of support and love
    Mommy to Pepper the Guinea-Pig, Adoring fan of Peaches the Blenheim
    http://cirenscall.misi.co.uk/
    http://www.folksy.com/shops/Ciren

Post Thanks / Like

I think whenever we are dealing with a crisis or illness or any adversity there are good days and bad days. You are no different than lots of others. Hang in there and continue to love and care for Spangle. Visit here for support and try posting under the MVD and SM heading as more folks trying to cope as you are will see it there. Hugs to you and Spangle!
    Phyllis in West Virginia USA with two Clumbers and a Cavalier Named Buddy

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry Spangle and you are having a bad time of it today. Have you tried phoning your neurologist?

Do you mind me asking what dose Spangle is on with those drugs and what her weight is please?
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any advice to offer for a dog with Sm (for now anyway) but I hope Spangles bad days are few and far between. Best of luck with her treatment and hang on in there, from all that I have read on this board, sadly, you and Spangle are not alone.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry Spangle isn't well. It must be very difficult to see her quality of life suffer. Have you ever considered the decompression surgery to halt the progression of the disease?

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Bad Day

Thank you for all your kind wishes, sometimes it`s just nice to know people understand and care isn`t it?
    Pauline - yes I do keep in touch with the neurologist and he advised that we give her the Codeine as well as 1 Prednislone every other day and she is on 100mg Gabapentin 3x a day. She weighed 7.3 kg on 16/01/09.
    She has put on 1 kg since she started on the steroid last November. She is can eat well for a month (JW dry mixed with a tbs fresh cooked chicken), and then have a week when she hardly wants to eat (except for her 2 gravy bones a day and one cruchy stick! she almost always wants those!) At those times its especially hard to get her to take her tablets too. I do persevere until she takes them though.
    brotymo - we have thought long and hard about surgery but we feel that we can`t put her through that and all it entails as we just don`t see the evidence of any great improvements in those that have.
    I will post under the Sm and MVD heading in future - sorry, I just wasn`t sure where to go with this.
    Christine
    Christine
    Spangle born 24/11/07 (Blen)
    Poppy (Blen)who went to Rainbow Bridge aged 13 and a half.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do hope Spangly is a bit better now - sometimes the change in weather makes quite a difference to them. Teddy has had some bad days this week, but has settled a bit again today.

Perhaps have another chat with your neurologist - surgery isn't a cure but it can halt progression. There are quite a few dogs some years out of surgery still enjoying a good quality of life.

Not sure whom you are seeing, but perhaps try to get in contact with Clare Rusbridge for another opinion.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org