• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A Bad Day

Spangly

My Spangle is having a bad day. She was diagnosed with sm last Nov, she is 14 months old and such a sweetie.
She`s on Gabapentin, Prednislone (every other day) and Codeine. This morning she was very bad scratching her head and crying and she has spent most of the day asleep. I just feel so low, as she seems to be getting worse much quicker than I expected.
Some days I feel I can cope better than other days. Does anyone else feel like that?
Christine cavtiny

Hi Christine,

I can't offer advice regarding SM, I just want to say I am sorry to hear what you and Spangle are going through and I hope many more good days are on their way :flwr: :flwr:

I think whenever we are dealing with a crisis or illness or any adversity there are good days and bad days. You are no different than lots of others. Hang in there and continue to love and care for Spangle. Visit here for support and try posting under the MVD and SM heading as more folks trying to cope as you are will see it there. Hugs :hug: to you and Spangle!

I'm sorry Spangle and you are having a bad time of it today. Have you tried phoning your neurologist?

Do you mind me asking what dose Spangle is on with those drugs and what her weight is please?

I don't have any advice to offer for a dog with Sm (for now anyway):xfngr: but I hope Spangles bad days are few and far between. Best of luck with her treatment and hang on in there, from all that I have read on this board, sadly, you and Spangle are not alone.:lotsaluv:

sorry Spangle isn't well. It must be very difficult to see her quality of life suffer. Have you ever considered the decompression surgery to halt the progression of the disease?

Thank you for all your kind wishes, sometimes it`s just nice to know people understand and care isn`t it?
Pauline - yes I do keep in touch with the neurologist and he advised that we give her the Codeine as well as 1 Prednislone every other day and she is on 100mg Gabapentin 3x a day. She weighed 7.3 kg on 16/01/09.
She has put on 1 kg since she started on the steroid last November. She is can eat well for a month (JW dry mixed with a tbs fresh cooked chicken), and then have a week when she hardly wants to eat (except for her 2 gravy bones a day and one cruchy stick! she almost always wants those!) At those times its especially hard to get her to take her tablets too. I do persevere until she takes them though.
brotymo - we have thought long and hard about surgery but we feel that we can`t put her through that and all it entails as we just don`t see the evidence of any great improvements in those that have.
I will post under the Sm and MVD heading in future - sorry, I just wasn`t sure where to go with this.
Christine:confused:

Do hope Spangly is a bit better now - sometimes the change in weather makes quite a difference to them. Teddy has had some bad days this week, but has settled a bit again today.

Perhaps have another chat with your neurologist - surgery isn't a cure but it can halt progression. There are quite a few dogs some years out of surgery still enjoying a good quality of life.

Not sure whom you are seeing, but perhaps try to get in contact with Clare Rusbridge for another opinion.

Back