• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Scratching Problem

SweetCharlie

Charlie keeps scratching around his jaw. The vet said it looked like he had some bacteria from licking around his mouth (I thought that's what dogs do) and the vet suggested that I put Listerine on a cotton ball and dab it around his jaw line. I tried it but Charlie dragged his jaw along the carpeting (I'd would think it would sting). Does anyone have any suggestions or have you experienced this problem?

Charlie seems to be scratching around his jaw line. The vet said he could have some bacteria from licking and suggested that I put Listerine (which should kill bacteria) on a cotton ball and dab around his jaw. When I did this, Charlie dragged his face across the carpeting -- I think he may have stung. I'm doing doing this any more and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, THe vet didn't seem to think it was allergies. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Teddy had to have stitches in his mouth, a stick cut it that he had been chewing on outside, and the vet had me put Hydrogen Peroxide (house-hold grade, 3%) on a cotton swab (Q-tip) and gently rub it over the stitches every hour or so during the day to keep it clean. Never heard of listerine being used. It hurts my mouth just using it. I'm NOT a vet, please remember that!

I havn't experienced it but if I were you i'd call your vet and tell him what happened and would he suggest anything else! I hope he's ok!

Oh dear, I don't like your vets advice. Can you go somewhere else for a 2nd opinion? An antibacterial cream might be better or a mild saline solution. What does it look like?

Back