• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vehicle safety

stacy710

I feel really bad about a response I posted in another thread where I said that when we first picked up our pups, we transported them by holding them in our laps. I knew this wasn't the ideal way to do it, but after reading some of your responses, especially yours Karlin, I realize the seriousness and danger of continuing that practice. I did have a question though: What are your thoughts on the pet restraint seats that are similar to child seats where they can see out but are secured? Also, thank you for always providing the best, reliable information (even if its not exactly what we want to hear). :eek:

Stacy, I have wondered that, too. I transport mine in a pet taxi crate when mine go in the car. I bought a booster seat and a harness that seatbelts them in, but I don't use it because Bandit could come right out of the harness. I didn't see where it would be a bit of good in a wreck. I wonder how much good being in the kennel, which is seatbelted in would actually do, but I must assume it is better than being completely loose in the car. I actually returned the booster, but I am stuck with the car seatbelt harness that I doubt he will ever fit in properly enough to use. (and I bought the small size.) maybe some other people on here have had luck with some of these non-crate restraint devices.

The site is loading SOOOOOOOOOO slowly for me today, that I am not going to take the time to go back and read the responses you got that you are referring to. Therefore, if someone said something harsh, I am not singling you out here. What I am trying to say is, (and at the risk of offending some folks, I suppose) I have noticed responses (and on rare occasion experienced them myself) that surprised and shocked me on many issues in the past. I am not saying that the responses didn't have a legitimate point, but I am saying that posters could take some lessons in tact. I think that the approach used often just offends the person seeking advice and might even make them abandon getting help. Perhaps instead of attacking the poster, responders could concentrate on attacking the problem being expressed, or point out the problem with a poster's actions or methods factually instead of slamming the poster.

On another note, the overwhelming bulk of messages on here are helpful and this is a wonderful community of people. I just would hate to think that people begin to stay away due to a judgmental attitude or lack of sensitivity by other members of the community. As the saying goes, you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your comments. I really appreciate it. I wasn't offended by the comments but just more embarrassed and worried about the fact that my response could possibly cause someone else to make the same mistake that I had. Maggie and Roxie are truly like my children,and I would never do anything purposely to endanger them. Someone told me that Cavaliers faces and personalities can allow them to get away with most anything and thats where I have the biggest problem. Again, I really wasn't offended, I know that people are just passionate about their pets and their opinions (as I can be) and I do enjoy and appreciate this forum and the different views expressed here. Thanks again!

we picked our pup up on saturday and we transported her back home in a crate that was strapped in

I want to get a car dog harness for when we start taking her out places in the car

I didn't read the other thread you posted and am having problems getting the site to load today to read it, but i'm sure noone meant to upset you , they were just thinking in the best interests of the dog.

I never realised before i joint a few cavalier forums just how much there was/is to be learnt!

I've come to realise owning a dog is a never ending learning process and the more advice/help/opinions we can get the better

xx

Really the only person I was upset with was myself. You're right, there is so much to learn about this breed in particular. I'm still in that learning process as Maggie and Roxie are my first Cavaliers. (but definately not my last) Maggie just turned a year old and Roxie is 5 mo. I've always had dogs, but this breed is so endearing. They do something to amaze me everyday. :)

Hi Everyone

Just a few thoughts on transporting dogs.I have driven thousands of miles with my Cavaliers over the years.I always use Wire Crates in the back of a estate car,I personally think they are more stable and offer more protection.And in the warmer weather the air can circulate better.If you are putting the crate on just the back seat,then use a Vari-kennel and a seat belt.

When we go to buy a new car the first consideration is,'' will the dog crates fit in the back''.So whilst my husband discusses the finer points of the new vehicle,I am in the back with my Tape Measure!!!!!! Most car salesmen think I am NUTS !!!!!:)

I didn't really think about not having my dogs ride in the front seat because of the airbags. As I have a small sedan I am kind of limited in that I don't really have room to put the dogs in the back seat w/ my two boys. Hmmmm....I am not really sure what to do about that. I do have dog harnesses that are designed to attach to the seat belt so they are always secured but I guess I don't have a choice but to keep them in the front. Come to think of it I am fairly sure my car has a sensor that turns off the passenger airbag off when a lighter load is detected there. I will have to check on that but when it comes down to it I really don't have a choice in the matter. It is illegal for me to have my children ride in the front so unfortunately the dogs will have to remain there until we get a bigger car.

I found this one http://store.thenewyorkdogshop.com/carhase.html when I was doing an internship in NYC. I got it when we did the cross country trip to Fayetteville Ark so that I could finish up my masters and then hopefully my PhD. (Antiquities Law) It worked really well and allowed Teddy to have a good amount of room to move around in the back seat.

I have seatbelt harnesses for both Max and Mindy. I find them more convenient than taking their crates everywhere. The funny thing is that I got stopped by police a few weeks back on my way home from agility with Mindy. He didn't even ask me for my license and registration. I guess he felt that anyone who put their dog in a seatbelt probably wasn't breaking any serious laws!!!

We have harnesses for our two that attach to the seat belts. They both sit in the back seat with our 9 year old. I havent a clue what we are going to do when we get another baby please god (human baby not dog baby!!). This works for us, the dogs are happy that they can see us and they lie down and sleep if we go on a long journey.

Sam never does this when the car is moving or when we are driving anywhere. We were on hols in his grannys and when we got home and pulled into the drive he realised he was home and looked out the window in excitement.
picture.php

Last edited:
Great picture SamT:luv:

I used to have that harness, but Murphy soon realised that if he inched forward he could stretch the seat belt until his front paws were between the seat:swear:

We now transport both of our in the back:)

So I checked and my car does have a sensor that automatically disables the passenger side airbag when it detects a load under a certain weight. I am pretty sure that all late model cars in the US have this sensor. I am relieved that the dogs can safely ride in the front seat because we have no plans to purchase another car at this time.

I drive an extended cab pickup, live in the back woods and all, but it has a manual turn off (had to request it) so it is perm turned off when teddy is riding shotgun. :)

I was also guilty of bring my dog home on my sister's lap. Since learning of the force of a flying dog he rides strapped in.

Here's him hooked up in my car. The harness he has on has a loop on the back that you can slide the normal seat belt though and we do that in my hubby's car.

DSCF3386.jpg

DSCF3385.jpg

I use a similar harness but it just occurred to me that as muddy season comes along I'll probably want to crate them if we go places to walk.

Back