• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How to stop her?

Katelyn

We have a kitchen with a kind of small open living room attached to it and the get outside theres a glass sliding door. Scarlett usually lives in here and when she wants to go outside to go to the toilet or whatever she just scratches at the door and someone opens it, its the same when she wants to get back in. I know at first we shouldnt of allowed her to be trained into that but at the time she was a tiny puppy and of course the whole family was like "oooh look at her shes so clever!" haha as you can imagine. Well now the glass door is getting ruined on a daily basis and it annoying the hell out of everyone because sometimes she goes in and out and in and out over and over! I dont know how to teach her that she just needs to sit at the door to be let in/out and not scratch it! any ideas???

I have the same problem and am considering buying some "poochie bells" (do a google search) to solve the problem. Take a look at them and see what you think.

I wish I had thought of the poochie bells. Our retriever used to go in and out 100 times an evening it seemed. The thing was - unless it was incredibly hot he wanted to be out but he also wanted to be with us so it was a conundrum. I don't really mind that much but I might try out the bells. I don't think it will make them want to go out less though.

Chloe, I bought two sets of poochie bells. Up in NH I put them on the front door and it works okay. But in Florida I had a really hard time setting them up on the sliders out to the patio area. I have not been able to use them there. My front door opens onto our private lobby to the elevator and they don't belong there.
So, do be careful of where you will be able to use them.
Pam

I have poochie bells and they destroyed my woodwork! I didn't realize how they were rubbing on the door and the trim until a lot of damage was done.

I bought a 'sleigh bell' from a craft store(just 1) hung it on a ribbon placed on a comand hook. These hooks are temporary and can come off, it is on the frame of my back slider which has a vinyl frame. I previously trained Chelsea to use it till she was big enough for the dog door and am working on Vivian. Just this evening Vivian used it 2 time to go out to piddle/poop. :rah::rah: The bell is round and does not make any marks, I have even given one to my neighbor who also had great success. I would suggest this method to anyone and will use it till Vivi is big enough to use the dog door. Good luck.

I've seen people put those shock mats on the ground...EWWWW...Would NEVER do that, how cruel! But you could buy some plexiglass and rubber cement it to the door. I had to do that to my balcony door so that teddy wasn't ruining it when he just wanted to lounge outside in the sun. Pretty easy and inexpensive so that when it gets older take it off and use a razor blade to remove the excess cement and do again. I did it for under $25 US. Just make sure the glass is SUPER clean.

A bell could be a good idea till they learn that everytime they ring it they get to go out and do whatever. If the door slides both ways (meaning it is really two doors) you could install a doggie door on one side.

Sorry you seem to be between a rock and a hard place.

http://www.piginmud.com.au/joomla/pet-patio-doors/index.php

you need this!!! I brought one about 4 weeks after I got Bella, it slids into your existing door and they can go in and out as much as they like. it Locks also or when you go out you simply slide it out and remove it. Takes 5 seconds, I am a girl and I can manage it so it can't be too hard!!! it's an Aussie thing but they ship world wide and the one I brought was too short- they sent me out an extender thing express post at no extra charge- truly a wonderful invention.

I would go insane if I had to get up and open the door every time bell wanted to go out- hmmm I guess you need a secure yard like me if you do get one...

Back