• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anyone feed fish

harleyfarley

Is fish good for dogs, i read somewhere about not feeding raw salmon, I assumed it must be good and low cal so might start to give harley some fish added to his normal food. di

I don't know if salmon has flukes, but some fish are contaminated with parasites and it kinda freaks me out just thinking about it. We feed canned salmon and sardines.

I very sporadically will feed canned, cooked salmon or tuna in small amounts (when leftover from my cooking). It is supposed to be good for them, though I think you'd have to watch the sodium content or the mercury that can be a problem if they ate it frequently.

Hi
Di

Once or twice a week I feed them tinned tuna and I also buy from a local pet shop fresh coley (Its a cheap type of white fish) which I just boil and then feed to the girls mixed in with their Burns and veggies ,but of course i carefully check for any fish bones but their never seems to be many.:)

I give tinned sardines, tuna & any cooked white fish - all occasionally mixed in with their burns - burns also does a fish & rice food which they will almost kill for!!

I feed Ilsa salmon once a week. Sometimes it's canned or I broil it for us both, but sometimes we have a special sushi party! She loves sashimi!!! She's never had a problem with the raw fish, nor have I, but I only buy it from a quality sushi restaurant where I eat myself. I'd be afraid to eat, or feed her raw fish from the market. She loves it so much I get an order of salmon sashimi just for her, otherwise she'd eat all of mine. A very expensive treat! I give her little bits of macral or sea bass as well. I used to give her tuna sashimi but stopped because of the mercury. Oddly, she refused to eat a raw diet, I have to cook her meat.

Jen and Ilsa

We feed ours Sardines or Mackrel, normally a few times a month, they really go crazy for it.

We also just bought fish skins and fish biscuits from Fish4Dogs, which last about 2 seconds:)

Back