• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

2 more days

linderbelle

Right now I feel sick to my stomach and probably nerves as Abbey goes in monday morning for her surgery that is scheduled on tuesday. Her appt is 9:30 monday morning and its about a 2 1/2 hr. drive from here. I know we are doing the right thing as she was misdiagnosed for a very long time. The neurologist is reassuring that we caught this at a good time and they have had great success with this. I'm just scared. I love my little Abbey so much. I hope she does as good as Ted does because day #2 and Fiona says he was so much better and she took him home day #1. Thank god I'm not doing that. She will probably go home on friday but we will see. I've been thinking this a.m. about if we need to move furniture etc. or buy a bigger crate. Geesh we have 6 crates believe it or not--I feed them separately in 3 crates and the shih tzu is out eating so thats 3 downstairs and 2 upstairs in our bedroom that two of them sleep in and Abbey sleeps on our bed.

Question--should I buy a bigger crate so she has a little more room in it??????? Like one for a very large dog??? We also have a dog playpen but I think I'm going to put that outside for her to do her job in--carry her outside and put her in the playpen. She's not used to going to the bathroom on the leash so I think that will be alot easier and our yard is fenced with one area being a very very large dog area and I'm going to take her on the other side as I'm going to keep her away from the other 3 dogs and my house is set up with gates also--kind of pet permanent ones from petsmart.

So this got to be a long post--should I get a big crate?

I don't have any answers to your questions, but I just wanted to say I'll be thinking about you on Monday and saying a little prayer that all goes well. Will be anxious to hear an update as soon as you are able to post. Good Luck. Judy

Linda - the crate I used for Riley was a 30 inch crate. Plenty of room for her to lie down, sit, stand and turn around in. Believe me, the first few days after Abbey comes home, she's not going to be moving around much. As Riley got to feeling better, I attached an X-pen to the crate so she had a little more room. Luckily she is not a climber or a jumper and never tried to get out or even stand up to look over the top. Riley also was one to never pee or poop when on the leash - never on walks. She would wait until we were home and i let her out in our fenced in yard. But she took to the leash beautifully after surgery and did her business without a problem. I also felt that I could walk her around a little more and get her leg muscles moving. I didn't want her to waste away and the instructions were 5 minute leash walks, so I figured a litlle waking was a good thing. Good luck on Monday/Tuesday. We'll all be thinking of you.

A second thought Linda - be sure Abbey sleeps in the crate at night also. I think you would be worried having her on your bed - what if she got agitated and fell off or rolled off? Better to keep her safe in a crate by your bedside. That way you can hear her and tell if she needs some pain meds, etc.

Bev: I just measured 2 of ours--one is 24 and the biggest one we have is a 30" one which gives lots of room. I probably should buy another 30 to put upstairs for her to sleep in. Will have to think about that. I'm assuming what you call an x-pen is what I'm calling a playpen. Could you clarify that one please? That makes sense about the walking as I know how I feel when like I've been in a car for awhile--stand up and can barely walk for about 5 minutes--of course I'm old--lol. Abbey is a pretty mellow personality. Of course she jumps on couches etc. but won't jump on the bed--we have those carpeted steps deals for her and yes I know jumping is absolutely out of the question. Just really thinking here to start prepping etc. Thanks for your input Bev. Appreciate it and thanks everybody for thinking of us.

I see other posts came in when I've been typing this. Nope she is not allowed on our bed. I know that. She will be in the crate. We're still debating whether to make our dining room into a hospital room--meaning putting a mattress on the floor etc. Whatcha think? How we usually sleep is 2 in crates in our bedroom and Abbey on the bed and again she would be crated by the other 2. I'm kind of thinking that maybe I should sleep downstairs in the dining room with her so she can see me better or do you think she'd be fine in the crate where she still could see us. I guess I'm kind of thinking that maybe since she's used to being on the bed that she might not be too keen on the crate in the same room and plus Bentley and Chelsea in crates there too and sometimes during the night Bentley takes his paw on the door praying that we will let him out and nope his prayers are NOT answered--he used to do it alot but I think he's finally figured out that he's just being ignored--lol

I wanted to wish you and Abbey the best of luck with surgery. I know the first few days are difficult for the dog as well as the human! Just wanted to let you know I will be saying prayers for you and your baby girl everyday for a smooth recovery:xfngr:. Please keep us all posted!

i just want to wish you & Abbey good luck for monday/tues. i hope all goes really well, we will keep fingers & paws crossed for you, rubys mum

I will be thinking of you mon/tues. Hopefully I'll have answers about my Leo then but will still say a prayer for you and your littleone.

Very best of luck
Mel :xfngr:

Wishing you the best. I hope and pray that all goes well. Please keep us posted as my little ones go in the end of March.

Bernie-

Back