• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy Constantly Play Fighting with Older Dog

cavman

Hello
My 3 month old ruby puppy (Keira) constantly wants to play fight with my 1 year old blenheim dog (Sophie). Sophie is a timid dog and let's Keira get away with alot. Sophie will yelp if Keira hurts her, but she isn't assertive enough for Keira to stop. Up until Keira came along Sophie had a nice quiet life, but I wanted a second dog to keep her company. Should I let this behaviour continue or should I intervene? I can see that Keira will be the dominant dog, but it seems unfair to Sophie that Keira's constantly in her face.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Cameron

You might want to put Keira in an x-pen for intervals to give Sophie a break. Sophie will then have opportunities to be near Keira and get used to her without being jumped on. :)

Your 3 month old is still really young and I bet Sophie realizes that and lets her get away with her puppy faze, but as she grows older Sophie will start to be more ascertive and teach her what is right and what is wrong.

But do give Sophie some time to herself:luv:.

Max is still like this with Mindy. Until the last weeks Mindy always had safe refuge on the couch because Max couldn't jump up unassisted. Max is 5 months old and Mindy is still very tolerant of him. She even initiates play at times. I make a point of letting her sit on my knee while I play ball or tug with Max to give her a bit of a break - she is his favourite playmate but I run a close second.

I had this issue with Holly and Amber. Give the older dog lots of one on one time, and for the moment never leave them together unsupervised and uncrated. Apart from that, leave them to it - even the most timid and nervous of dogs will eventually tell a bumptious puppy that enough is ENOUGH. It's very funny in our house cos Holly's queendom is completely unchallenged, and whilst Alanna tortures the life out of Amber, she usually leaves Holly alone. Usually...

I have this issue with my two as well. They are only 7 months apart in age, and Zoey (the younger one) still drags Jato around by his ears. I'm still waiting for the day that he tells her off- but he is such a softy, he just takes it. Most of the time I call her name, and tell her to "be nice" and she lets go of him. They really love each other though. :lotsaluv:

Back