• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leo's MRI.........he's clear!!!!!

Oh I am so pleased..great news....treats are due, I think, and that includes you!

hmmm, great news about leo, whats the treatment for psom then, Harley sometimes shakes his head, some days half a doz times others day not at all.

Some dogs have been prescribed the antibiotic Trimedoxine. Geoff Skerritt has been using this very successfully for PSOM, the dogs have a 3 week course.

There is also a surgery, but sometimes this has to be repeated a few times.

Thanks everyone.
Leo is still a little dazed today, from the anesthetic. Not his usual boisterous self but is lapping up the love and cuddles he's receiving.
We had the most lovely cuddle this morning with him on my lap snoring away. It was the loveliest snore ive ever heard!!

We're so glad to have him home. He's being spoilt rotten.

Mel:rah:

Thats great news. Back home and snoozing happily on your lap! Time for treats all round:)

That's great news. :)

On what caused some of what you were seeing -- Did they say whether there was CHiari like malformation, degree of hind brain compression, dilated ventricles etc? The malformation alone has caused serious symptoms for some dogs and is generally treated with the same pain relief drugs. Also PSOM can cause severe symptoms for some dogs including severe pain -- if you continue to see possible symptoms, it would be wise perhaps to see someone who knows more about this condition and treatments (this involves draining the mucus out of the ear but often has to be repeated several times, under general anaesthesia).

I have a whole section on PSOM here with links to further information: http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/diagnosing/psom/psom.html

I would recommend paying for the article linked there, and reading it and giving a copy to your vet and neurologist to see what might be done next or if anything should be followed through. If the pain was due to this and not a muscle problem then it will likely be repeated and you will have a starting point.

There's also a range of PSOM info at www.cavalierhealth.org (y)

Thanks Karlin,
I dont intend to let this lie. I want to know what caused Leo's symptoms and what can be done to prevent it happening again. They said they doubted the malformation was the cause of the screaming fit. They seemed more focused on the ear problems.
I will read as much as I can so Im in a position to discuss my concerns when I take him for his check up next week.

mel

Back