• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leo's MRI.........he's clear!!!!!

meljoy

The vet just called they MRI'd Leo this morning and did not find any syrinx!!!!

I am in tears.....the relief is unbelievable. The neurologist has no explanation for his screaming fit 2 weeks ago and can only guess he trod on something or pulled a muscle. The only thing they found was debrit in his right ear. I think he said PSOM?? That would account for his scratching although the vet said he has hardly scratched at all this last week.

Im picking him up at 4pm, they're going to show me the MRI then and go through it with me as I cant believe it.

I'll post more when Ive spoken to them.

Mel :jump:

Oh that's the best morning news to get! Congratulations! I have no experience with PSOM, but I know others on the board will give you lots of good advice.

I'm thrilled to bits for you,this is fantastic news.
After all the anguish you've been through this is wonderful.
Sins

HOORAY !!!!!! It is soooooooo wonderful to hear some GOOD news on this site. I am so very happy for you. Judy and Dixie:rah::rah::rah::rah:

I am so happy for you. I think that lovely boy deserves a few new toys this week :jump::jump::jump::jump: Let us know what the neurologist says when you get over the shock. :hug:

Fantastic news, that's great - really relieved for you especially after such a long haul :(

Am so glad the MRI was negative for Syringomyelia. That is the best news! Please do ask the Vets about PSOM, however.

PSOM (Primary Secretory Otitis Media) is a disease of the middle ear and can only be diagnosed by MRI or CT Scan. Most often when a dog has it the middle ears need to be flushed and that has to be done under anesthetic. If you put "PSOM" in the search criteria, you will come up with several threads about it.

Our Buddy has been diagnosed with PSOM and had his ears flushed once, about 18 months ago. Before he had the surgery he had one episode of crying in pain which lasted about five to ten seconds and also had other episodes of single "yelps." They almost disappeared altogether but have started again. I am concerned that his middle ears may have filled up again, or that he has SM, and am discussing with his Vet at Ohio State where we go from here.

Again, so happy about the SM but check out the PSOM.

Phyllis

hmmm, great news about leo, whats the treatment for psom then, Harley sometimes shakes his head, some days half a doz times others day not at all.

HI
I GOT MY BOY HOME!!!!!

Im just back from Cambridge after seeing the neurologist. Im still in shock and cant believe how lucky I am to receive this news.
They went through the MRI with me showing me the scan and explaining it all. The only thing it did show was a "Chiari like malformation" of his skull but they have reasurred me that wouldnt necessarily cause him pain but it was something to watch and be aware of.

I have to keep a diary of anything I think he does is unusual, ie excess scratching and anymore episodes of pain. He hasnt scratched at all whilst with them apparently!!
They talked about the PSOM, which I will read up on. He said it involves a small op to correct and is successful, I need to educate myself on this now.

So there you have it. The longest diagnosis to be told all is ok. How lucky am I!
Thank you for all the support...its been wonderful. Pauline thanks for being the voice of reason when I was losing it. I cant wait to meet you and Dylan at some point.

Mel:jump:

I've been keeping up to date with Leo's story and I am truly pleased that he is clear of SM :rah:. I hope you really spoil yourself - a nice meal, shopping spree etc - after all the worry :flwr::flwr::flwr: , but of course the best thing is Leo is home with you now :)

Back