Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leo's MRI.........he's clear!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fantastic news, that's great - really relieved for you especially after such a long haul
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Am so glad the MRI was negative for Syringomyelia. That is the best news! Please do ask the Vets about PSOM, however.

PSOM (Primary Secretory Otitis Media) is a disease of the middle ear and can only be diagnosed by MRI or CT Scan. Most often when a dog has it the middle ears need to be flushed and that has to be done under anesthetic. If you put "PSOM" in the search criteria, you will come up with several threads about it.

Our Buddy has been diagnosed with PSOM and had his ears flushed once, about 18 months ago. Before he had the surgery he had one episode of crying in pain which lasted about five to ten seconds and also had other episodes of single "yelps." They almost disappeared altogether but have started again. I am concerned that his middle ears may have filled up again, or that he has SM, and am discussing with his Vet at Ohio State where we go from here.

Again, so happy about the SM but check out the PSOM.

Phyllis
    Phyllis in West Virginia USA with two Clumbers and a Cavalier Named Buddy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

More info about PSOM here

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/diagnosing/psom/psom.html

from Karlin's Cavalier SM infosite http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/

ESSENTIAL reading for all Cavalier owners...
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm, great news about leo, whats the treatment for psom then, Harley sometimes shakes his head, some days half a doz times others day not at all.
    What's the difference between a new husband and a new dog? After a year, the dog is still excited to see you.

Post Thanks / Like

HI
    I GOT MY BOY HOME!!!!!

Im just back from Cambridge after seeing the neurologist. Im still in shock and cant believe how lucky I am to receive this news.
    They went through the MRI with me showing me the scan and explaining it all. The only thing it did show was a "Chiari like malformation" of his skull but they have reasurred me that wouldnt necessarily cause him pain but it was something to watch and be aware of.

I have to keep a diary of anything I think he does is unusual, ie excess scratching and anymore episodes of pain. He hasnt scratched at all whilst with them apparently!!
    They talked about the PSOM, which I will read up on. He said it involves a small op to correct and is successful, I need to educate myself on this now.

So there you have it. The longest diagnosis to be told all is ok. How lucky am I!
    Thank you for all the support...its been wonderful. Pauline thanks for being the voice of reason when I was losing it. I cant wait to meet you and Dylan at some point.

Mel

Post Thanks / Like

I've had butterflies waiting for your news! I am so thrilled for you and Leo.

Post Thanks / Like

That is wonderful news, I'm so pleased for you, your relief must be overwhelming

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nanette
    HollyDolly

Post Thanks / Like

That is wonderful news to hear ...

Sam

Post Thanks / Like

I've been keeping up to date with Leo's story and I am truly pleased that he is clear of SM . I hope you really spoil yourself - a nice meal, shopping spree etc - after all the worry , but of course the best thing is Leo is home with you now
    Andrea
    Jasper
    21/Dec/05 - 28 August 2014 my best friend, my soulmate
    Gabby 8/Nov/07,
    Felix the cat 4/April/10