• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ilsa's Symptoms

ilsamom

We saw the new neurologist yesterday. She was a big improvement on our other one and appeared well informed about SM. I described Ilsa's symptoms and lethargy and she recommended that we add a cortisone for a week and if her lethargy improved then we would know that she'd been experiencing pain and discomfort. As much as I hate putting Ilsa on steroids I agreed to the test.

She started them yesterday and if anything she appears worse. Her eyes are dull and she was whining a bit this morning but isn't sensitive to touch in any way. She still (according to this neurologist as well) has no damage to her gait or pain when handled. I don't want to disturb the doctor, as we are going back next week to see how the cortisone worked, and I promised to stay on it for a week. Clearly if she's right it's not pain causing this behavior. Could it be the medications and if so what can I do about it?

Jen and Ilsa

Hi,
I cant answer your questions but I just wanted to say Im sorry your little one still isnt right and I really hope its sorted soon.

Mel:xfngr:

if i was you i would be back on the phone to them.

but then i ama cranky cow at the best of times.

gentle hugs to you both.

Talk to your neurologist -- but I'd certainly give the steroids several days -- one day isn't really enough to see any results or improvement (or decline due to the steroids unless she has some strange reactions to them). The dull eyes are more likely due to whatever else is bothering her. Give the steroids a week's trial or whatever the neuro suggested and then go back to discuss what to do next. It may take a week or two to see any results. But ring the neuro's office for advice as you have the right to put questions to them so that you feel comfortable and informed. (y)

Thank you!

She has had diarrhea for 3 days now and seems a bit more alert then before. I'm not sure what to make of all that but she had acupuncture today, and that vet said she's seen many dogs on steroids and stomach problems are common with cortisone. Also, her improving every day for one or two weeks is also common. I hate having such a young dog on this drug, but she does seem a bit better daily. She was wonderful today, but always feels well for several days after her acupuncture, so if she's much better tomorrow I'll know. I'm still terrified of the surgery but equally terrified of not doing it. This is the worst decision I've ever had to make.

Thank you
Jen and Ilsa

Steroids are only a potential management problem given very long term. They are a very important and pain-easing short term drug so don;t worry about short term use. You are mainly using it right now just to get a better sense of what difficulties she is having and what treatment approach to take.

I have had a dog on meds for over 4 years so there are various options -- really depends on the dog and the scan results.

Hi

Ilsa had diarreah with the cortisone. We went to the acupuncture vet on Monday who gave her stomach medication which didn't work. I pulled her off the cortisone and her stools have gone back to normal.

We went back to the neurologist who recommended Previcox instead. She said to get the cortisone out of her system, and when the lethargy returns to try the new one for a week. I was wondering if anybody has used this and what the side effects were.

It turns out this neurologist told me she was taking way too much omiprazole. She was taking 10 mg per day as prescribed by her previous neurologist and this neurologist told me she should be on 4 mg per day for her body weight. I ordered new pills but it was a shock. I can't believe her old neurologist could make such a mistake.

Jen and Ilsa

Jen, i cant help answering any of your questions but i just want to say im sorry to hear that Ilsa has all this. i hope you see an improvement with the new meds, stay strong:hug:
P.s if ILsa has had a poorly tummy maybe a dog probiotic would help to get the balance back to normal in her tummy. Ruby used to have runny tummy often until i started her on Pooch&mutt Bionic Biotic www.poochandmutt.com & its worked wonders for her Gx

Back