Thread: can't get board on new computer

Post Thanks / Like

Default can't get board on new computer

Hi Karlin, I know you were moving the forum, I have a new computer and keep bumping into that other 'Cavaliertalk' thing when trying to pull up the board. Do you have a suggestion for web address to get here on the other computer. Some how I lucked out and was redirected on the older computer but am now stuck. Have tried copying the above address to the letter but no joy. Suzanne
    Suzanne mom to Chelsea(ruby girl), Vivian (tri girl),Kara(rescue kitty), Tyson and Candy(Tonk kittys at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not too sure why you can't get on with copying the board address - you will need to log in again though.

The ony other thing I can think of is to do a search on Google - CT usually comes pretty high up the results and you might be able to get in that way.

I'm sure Karlin will be along later and might have other ideas.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The board was offline for a few hours and set to divert to a holding page. Back up now! What was happening was one computer was accessing the board through a path where the servers were still bringing up the board and the others were brining up the holding page. Eventually it all would have diverted to the holding page and will gradually update to show the normal board page.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Propagation is a major pain in the butt. I thought you guys had gone!

Normally if I move a site, I ensure it is running in two locations at once (the existing and the new server). Then what I do, even before any domain name transfer, is POINT the domain at the new server (using DNS records). Once done, and updated (you should see little difference OTHER than the forum data being out of synch, which you can sort), once done, move the domain to the new host (if that is the plan), but ensure THEY do not update DNS records, OR the site MAY point at THEIR holding / landing page, and earn them money whilst you try and fix.

Hope this is useful for someone.

Gary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This wasn't a domain name transfer to a new host. The site was simply taken offline for a while and there was a redirect in place.

I don't make any money via this site -- currently do not run ads -- so there's no revenue loss to me if the site points to a holding page.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Karlin
    You should run a little collection bucket for free donations like a lot of shareware sites like spybot were you can contribute to the upkeep only if you wish ,its not fair you take on board all the costs ,something like this would only be willing doantions from us just to show support and of course we would get some kudos knowing we are helping cos as of now we naturally take but have no imput in the way of help ,a lot of us are proud people who want to help and you are our leader and own the site but your trusty soldiers you could give us some pleasure by letting us help you cos its totally unfair you do all the giving and us the taking ,pls have a think just along the lines you can if you want

Best Wishes
    Bian

PS it would in no way effect your total control you would still be 100 % owner ,director and the BOSS
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the offer and dedication but the costs are minimal -- the hosting costs me the same for all my domains. I've long been working on a main site of which the board would be a subsection and when I get that up, I'll run a few ads. But I've been talking here about doing that for over a year -- life keeps interrupting and I always have something else to do instead.
    Karlin