• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Questions about 10 week old puppy

nannyj

We just brought Quincy home on Saturday and I've got some questions. First, I brought him to the vet yesterday, and he detected a level 1 heart murmur. My heart sank when I heard that. What do you think the chances are of it going away? Quincy is 10 weeks old, and his parents are grandparents are all heartclear.

Is it normal for a 10 week old to poop 8-9 times a day? His stool was negative for parasites, and his poop is formed but a bit gooey at times. He also pees so many times a day. It doesn't seem like he pees much quantity each time. He sometimes pees 20-30 minutes apart.

I am absolutely in love with this little guy. He's my first puppy, and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with everything. I knew I'd be walking him a lot, but I didn't think it would be 18-20 times a day. Does this seem normal?

Thanks for any input.

Nancy

I can't advise you on the murmur although I've seen posted before that often times these murmurs in young puppies go away. The constant peeing and pooping is pretty normal for young puppies. He might have a little bit of loose stool due to the recent change. The frequency of his pottying will lessen over time.
Congrats on Quincy!

First off, go right away to www.dogstardaily.com and download the free books there -- "before" and "after you get your puppy". You will need a basic ownership guide -- this will make a huge difference to you, believe me -- and these are amongst the best books I know. They will answer lots of questions.

Second -- have you phoned your breeder? The breeder is generally the one to turn to with these sorts of questions -- a top reason to go to a reputable, health focused breeder is that you will get support as a puppy owner, and have a good personal relationship. :) The breeder also needs to be told the vet has picked up a murmur. You should also go talk to your vet about the implications of a murmur -- always keep in mind you are paying them, you are the client, and don't leave if you feel you don;t understand a diagnosis and the meaning of it. (y) You can always ring the office if you think of things later too. :)

Without knowing your vet's diagnosis it is hard to give a specific answer about what itmeans. There are two kinds of murmurs in puppies -- flow murmurs which generally don't mean anything and disappear as the pup gets older (It is a waiting game) or actual, serious murmurs, which should be referred right away to a cardiologist. Either way you may wish to schedule a cardiology appt. Vets are not good at accurately diagnosing murmurs so to put your mid at rest or alternatively to get the detail and care advice you will need if this is a serious murmur -- I'd see an expert right away. But either way the breeder needs to be informed. Any good breeder will both support you, and want this info for their breeding programme.

Yes, puppies when young pee and poop a lot. :) They will poop almost every time they pee sometimes! Soft stools are common on and off in puppies especially if they are stressed -- and being removed from its litter, and the only place it has known til now to a strange environment, will initially be stressful. The stools should improve. If they don't -- again, talk to your breeder and/or your vet.

Thanks, Karlin, for responding so quickly! The way the vet described the murmur, he said that it was barely audible. He was really straining to hear it, and didn't hear it consistently. He said that these types of murmurs often go away by 6 months. His suggestion was to monitor him, and if it's still audible at 6 months, to see a cardiologist. And yes, I have informed the breeder.

I do have several puppy and training books, including the one by Ian Dunbar. I just don't recall reading about that many poops! He also got another shot yesterday. Maybe that's contributing too.

Thanks again!

It is quite possible that the heart murmur is a flow murmur. That is not at all unusual in a young puppy & it will probably disappear, so don't worry too much.
I'm sure there is information on this board somewhere & that someone will post you the link.

I would not think there is anything wrong with Quincy, I'm afraid very young puppies are little poop and piddle machines and it takes time for them to mature and be able to 'hold it' for long periods.

Don't be overwhelmed, relax & enjoy your new baby. There is nothing that you won't be able to muddle through together. Do realise that although it is best if you can avoid accidents, the odd puppy piddle or poop will happen indoors & is just one of those things.

My personal preference has been to paper train my young puppies first. Easier to just lift a squatting puppy onto a sheet of newspaper by the door, than try & get them outside dozens of times a day. As they grow older I move the paper outside.

It always helps if you can keep the door open so they can take themselves outdoors. Many winters we have ended up with permanently frozen feet because of a cold wind blowing through a wide open dog flap.

You are going to have such fun, there is nothing so amusing & adorable as a little cavalier puppy.

Margaret C

Hi Nannyj,

Congrats on your puppy! I basically agree with what was said above. You might want to check out my web site and subscribe to my (free) newsletter. A lot of what I write about might benefit you and your puppy - including the very next one (Friday 5 am).

It's all free - no strings attached.

drphilzeltzman (vet surgeon)
www.drphilzeltzman.com

My Vet told me Loki had a grade 1 heart murmur. I was worried so I took him to a heart Vet & he said he was fine. No murmur!

Puppies do poop & pee a lot! I did what Margaret C. said with the paper training. I find it much easier to train a puppy than a 4 year old dog. Leopold has been a chore but we are finally getting there after he spent his first 4 years outside breeding.

Enjoy!

About the pooping; Our Abigail was doing what your pup has been doing even during the night. I took her off of wet food that breeder had her on; giving only kibble and a little sweet potato and she lessened the number. Now at 8 months, she is down to twice a day.

Heather R

Good to hear you have Quincy with you at last!
My little Charlie is 13 weeks now, it does seem that the pee & poo are completly out of proportion to the amount of food going in! We are still struggling to get him to understand that he,s to go on the paper, but everynow & again we are rewarded with a trophy in the right place, it does give us hope! It does take time & patience but we will all get there with our babies & any way just to see their gorgeous little faces & they are forgiven! Enjoy!! :)

To echo some of the above posters, I, too used the pee-pee pads (in addition to taking them outside) with all my puppies. I found it very easy to use those (both Pixie and Lizzie used them instinctively. Bandit never did take to them, though) and no problem to transition them to outside when the time came.
Good luck!

Remember to give Quincy lots of praise for doing his business outside and a tasty treat.

He will then cotton on even more quickly that this is a great deal.

Even older dogs appreciate praise for being good outside and I still tell Dan he's a clever boy when he does the business and he's nearly 13!:)

In fact, Dan has never had an accident in the house at all.

Back