• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What age should you breed your dog?

Barbara, I contacted the rescue organization listed on the atlanta CKCS website about a year and a half ago about 2 year-old males available and desperately in need of rescuing up in my area at a puppy mill. They were CKC registered, therefore the rescue refused to help them. They even stated that was the reason they couldn't help them. It bewildered me, for sure.

Last edited:
I'm really sorry to hear this but I can only speak for the UK club's and to the best of my knowledge it would not be the case here. There are some recue places here that won't let us have them unless we buy them and sometimes that isn't possible. My club is a very small one , with very limited funds and we simply couldn't keep paying out for a constant stream of dogs ( which is what it is ) however much we wanted to. We do not have a set charge for the dogs we rescue and donations are small. We also help to pay for medication and veterinary treatment if it is needed. I was answering karlin's statement which specifically addressed UK breeders not those in the USA.

I know from personal testimony that there is at least one UK club that will put dogs down that I would never even consider putting down (and I will not hesitate to pts if on consultation with my vet and professional trainer advisers, for health or temperament reasons, this is recommended). There is also at least one large UK club that will not accept cavaliers without pedigrees. And looming now is a serious problem with SM-affected rescue cavaliers. How will club rescue deal with these? There should be a formal policy, clearly stated. I am already seeing such dogs and cannot believe club rescue (unless it never speaks again to its pet homes and doesn't very carefully screen dogs) is not already seeing this too.

I am sure there are people who work very hard in club rescue but there are clubs and individuals within given clubs in both the UK and the US where I would not trust what would happen to a dog if sent there. Meanwhile some of these clubs are sitting on top of massive 'rescue funds' of up to (and in the US, over) 50,000 pounds and continue to fundraise -- but what is it being spent on? icon_nwunsure It just seems to be a nice little cash mountain. That is more than some of the largest general rescues in Ireland would have to work with in a year!

Those of you who are club members might bring up the question of the amount of cash in the 'rescue' fund and ask to see accounts for what is coming in and what it is spent on. Or why it isn't being spent when you can see the stream of rescue dogs going into general rescues or non-club breed rescues like mine. And how many actual dogs does the club rescue deal with in a year and is this documented? Are there liaison people working with local pounds and general rescues to help when cavaliers come in? What about puppy farm cases? 'Free to good home' listings for intact dogs therefore at risk of being bred?

They were CKC registered, therefore the rescue refused to help them. They even stated that was the reason they couldn't help them. It bewildered me, for sure.

I rest my case. :mad: Too many club rescues view rescue as a nice little "ladies who lunch" side activity that makes them feel good -- as long as they can limit the number of dogs coming in by these highly artificial and discriminatory methods they have so few dogs to manage that it needn't really interfere with their social lives and show schedules.

Then a handful of very hard working dedicated folks at club breed rescue (and there are many of those too!) either take on the bulk of the work load themselves or eventually quit in frustration.

I was just a foster for an 9 year old Cavalier here in the States through one of the US Club Rescues. The dog was turned in by a family who could no longer keep her. They had found her as a stray over a 2 years ago and her family was never located, despite efforts to do so. She came with no paperwork and horrible skin issues.

Rescue took her in, no questions asked. She had a full workup with both a regular vet and a Cardiologist--including a Doppler, where she was found to have a Grade 4 murmur. She also had a Dental and some lesions removed and sent out for pathology. Rescue spent well over $1500.00 on her and they were willing to get her whatever medical care she needed. We found her an amazing home with a wonderful couple where she is doted upon.

I think that is a great example of where Rescue donations go and what Rescue is willing to do-- and all for an old girl with no papers.

Any time there has been a Cavalier who needs help and I have contacted one of the 3 main Cavalier Rescues here, someone is always willing to help, regardless of pedigree or health problems. I think Rescue does a great job. I don't think it's fair to say that they are sitting on mountains of cash and not spending it on the dogs-- they had no problem at all paying for all of my foster's medical bills and care.

Holly, Hannah was precious, and the work rescue did for her is a great example of what rescue does. I don't know why I got the response I got. I went back to try to look up the link where I got contact info. at the time I was trying to locate rescue for those two boys. The person now listed is Jennifer (was someone else before). Perhaps they were a poor example of how rescue work is being done, and maybe that is why they aren't in the position any longer.

Hi Suzie!! Yes, I was really surprised to hear that-- I think you got a "dud". :( It seems like most of the Cavaliers that come in to Rescue don't come with papers or a good pedigree and Rescue still takes them-- even with health issues.

I know from personal testimony that there is at least one UK club that will put dogs down that I would never even consider putting down (and I will not hesitate to pts if on consultation with my vet and professional trainer advisers, for health or temperament reasons, this is recommended). There is also at least one large UK club that will not accept cavaliers without pedigrees. And looming now is a serious problem with SM-affected rescue cavaliers. How will club rescue deal with these? There should be a formal policy, clearly stated. I am already seeing such dogs and cannot believe club rescue (unless it never speaks again to its pet homes and doesn't very carefully screen dogs) is not already seeing this too.

I am sure there are people who work very hard in club rescue but there are clubs and individuals within given clubs in both the UK and the US where I would not trust what would happen to a dog if sent there. Meanwhile some of these clubs are sitting on top of massive 'rescue funds' of up to (and in the US, over) 50,000 pounds and continue to fundraise -- but what is it being spent on? icon_nwunsure It just seems to be a nice little cash mountain. That is more than some of the largest general rescues in Ireland would have to work with in a year!

Those of you who are club members might bring up the question of the amount of cash in the 'rescue' fund and ask to see accounts for what is coming in and what it is spent on. Or why it isn't being spent when you can see the stream of rescue dogs going into general rescues or non-club breed rescues like mine. And how many actual dogs does the club rescue deal with in a year and is this documented? Are there liaison people working with local pounds and general rescues to help when cavaliers come in? What about puppy farm cases? 'Free to good home' listings for intact dogs therefore at risk of being bred?

Karlin perhaps you can give us the names of the UK clubs that put dogs to sleep and refuse them help because they have no papers because this is certainly news to me.
Our rescues are not sat on mounds of money and what there is is spent on the dogs that come in. Some as said previously, have their medication paid for the rest of their lives if needed.
Our Club accounts are available ,in detail, every year at the AGM for all to see and question. I'm sure the other clubs do the same, though there are people that could give more explanation than me if they were allowed to post on this forum.
Some rescues, including the RSPCA will not let us have the dogs to home because they consider them their bred and butter breed, meaning they know they are popular and will be able to sell them easily ( disguised as donations).

Accusations such as these only serve to get the breeders backs up, particularly when they do not have the right of reply. I don't know how this rift started but I think it is extremely sad for the breed. Afterall we all want the best for our cavaliers. We ( nonbreeders and breeders)
need to try to understand each other and that can't happen if the discusion is one sided.
Yes there are a lot of things that need to change and be improved in the dog show world and I do understand the frustration and anger some feel when they think that things are not moving quick enough but this 'them and us attitude' is most certainly not helping. We need to be able to see and understand each others point of view and this won't happen while certain people are refused the opportunity to post.

There are good representatives in Rescue and then there are duds-just like regular life, I guess. Certainly have run across a couple duds who wouldn't lift their finger to check on dogs that appeared to need rescuing. Today I was part of a rescue transport to get CKCS x breeders to foster care and, with Cass and Penny, I've shared the joy of working with Lucky Star. :flwr:

Barbara -- please reread -- I didn't say clubs put dogs to sleep because they have no papers, I said one club in particular will put dogs to sleep simply because they make judgements as to their health or temperament or how much of a hassle they will be to rehome (if they have behaviour problems) and make no effort to get any professional input nor will allow others to try and help those dogs. At least one other prominent club *definitely* refuses dogs that have no papers (though they will undoubtedly deny it now that this is an 'issue' but that's good if it benefits some puppy farm dogs with no pedigrees that come into rescue in future , isn't it?). I do know people within rescue and within clubs who are deeply disturbed by these two situations -- and by how much rescue money some clubs have but don't seem to find much use for even as they continue to fundraise for 'rescue' :bang: -- and some of those club members/breeders have direct experience of dogs encountering both these situations in these clubs. A few enquiries should elicit policies -- or do the clubs and rescue people talk to each other?

I also have not said ALL club rescue does this, of course! -- but some of you would no doubt be surprised to hear of how many of them operate, rather than the one you have directly worked with -- I hear from lots of groups across the US and UK and Canada and know individuals involved with same who have some pretty dire stories to tell. And the main point I was making is -- how dare some in the clubs tell people concerned about breed helth that they should be focusing on puppy farms, when numerous club rescues won't even accept non-pedigreed dogs into rescue, and do so little regarding puppy farms themselves? While sitting on very large rescue accounts?

Our rescues are not sat on mounds of money and what there is is spent on the dogs that come in. Some as said previously, have their medication paid for the rest of their lives if needed.

Perhaps not your club, but you do need to get ALL the UK clubs to reveal their rescue accounts at the national club AGM because this is very definitely not the case at all club rescues! I know of regional rescues with large 5 figure sums in the US, too. Clubs that then consider putting down dogs because they dispute whether to have the dog see vets for treatment for perfectly treatable medical conditions (not SM or MVD either). As surprising as it may seem, I do know people who serve on club boards and committees who reveal such things privately.

For my own part, I have many years of experience working with general and individual rescues both in Ireland and -- surprise! the UK (the same folks who won't talk to club breed rescue I guess... but they will work with me) and know often they won't give dogs to breed rescue because they know some of the approaches club rescue take -- and they are bombarded by club people who tell them they know nothing about the breed -- and generally in my experience club rescue charges far more than say, the RSPCA or the pounds! Some might even feel some club rescues are more in line to be accused of 'selling' dogs... The bottom line is, clubs SHOULD be spending on the health issues of dogs that come into rescue, otherwise it isn't really rescue, is it? All decent rescues incur large financial costs (I operate at a loss myself because donations and homing fees won;t cover my medical costs for dogs). At any rate, within Ireland, I have had no problems working with a range of general rescues and several of the regional pounds as well as the iSPCA. Maybe it is the attitude of club rescue when they approach these groups that causes the rift? icon_nwunsure

If breeders' backs are up because of my comments on rescue, then maybe some need to consider how many people's backs are up because of some club rescues sitting on pools of cash and taking this 'only with a pedigree' approach to rescue (and being told this isn't the case when it very clearly IS the case. I know this is true within other breeds as well because I have show breeder friends and relatives doing breed rescue who are disgusted with the approach of some in club rescue -- though I *absolutely agree* that this isn't all in club rescue). But: if some breeders in the UK and US weren't desperately trying to shift the focus on breed health over to puppy farms as a supposedly 'more important' issue -- as if we have no right to raise breed health as an issue -- when breed clubs and KC and AKC etc don't seem themselves to be doing much in regard to puppy farms and some don't even take in such dogs as rescues -- then to me this is a perfectly valid issue of discussion, brought on by this ridiculous assertion that 'if only you all worried more about 'real' issues like puppy farms rather than SM'. :rolleyes:

So here's some questions for the UK national AGM: how many dogs are rehomed annually through club rescue in the UK? Is this statistic released each year? If not, why not? What is the income from each club towards rescue? How much is in each club's account? Where is it spent and why do they not operate on a break-even basis so that people aren't being pushed to donate towards a fund that is simply stockpiled... for what? How much is charged to rehome dogs by each club rescue, and where does that go?

Still, how bizarre that I -- not even a club member -- know more about some club's accounts than some of you in rescue do, though! :confused: That really seems to indicate a lack of communication and lack of disclosure -- that some clubs want to hide away their financial status perhaps? Maybe because they might want to redirect that income towards, oh, a PR company at some point? :lol: I can't figure out why rescue income isn't general knowledge to the national club membership, for all constituent clubs. For my own part, I keep my accounts transparent. I do audited taxes separate from my own work income, audited by one of the largest tax firms in Ireland (Farrell Grant Sparks) and operate as a break even or loss-making trade.

Anyway: to fulfill your wishes expressed elsewhere, I will close your account here so you no longer need to be frustrated by the discussion. I do have a policy of not allowing additional breeder registrations and had that in place at the time you joined -- so actually, you should have been removed before you started posting anyway. Nothing personal.

Barbara, I contacted the rescue organization listed on the atlanta CKCS website about a year and a half ago about 2 year-old males available and desperately in need of rescuing up in my area at a puppy mill. They were CKC registered, therefore the rescue refused to help them. They even stated that was the reason they couldn't help them. It bewildered me, for sure.

Most cavalier dog clubs don't have the manpower, the INSURANCE or the bankroll to have their own individual cavalier rescues. Most AKC cavalier clubs have decided NOT to do rescue directly, or to become member clubs of the ACKCSC and be covered under the Rescue Trust.

For example:

We serve the ACKCSC Rescue Trust through volunteer work. For information on available rescue's or volunteer opportunities such as fostering, transportation, ect. Please contact our Rescue Chairperson who coordinates these activities with the ACKCSC National Rescue Trust.

Above is the CKCSC of Greater Atlanta's rescue info.

I don't know where people think that rescue is sitting on a pile of money, we are constantly raising money, doing raffles and begging for dollars. The average rescue costs a couple of hundred more than we get as a donation.

We almost always have at least one dog in rescue that needs several thousand dollars worth of diagnostics or surgery. We have been fortunate to have many kind and generous people to help us out.

Those are the good groups and they do fantastic, tireless work :), but there are definitely groups sitting on very large 5 figure sums where they debate even minor expenditures. Believe me: there are, I know the individual cases. Sadly not all are as dedicated as some doing club rescue work. I know well that a committed rescue group would easily go through £50k annually, if it were truly tackling the kinds of health and homing issues that arise all the time in rescue.

I couldn't operate myself without several dedicated vets, help from some general rescues, professional time from trainers like Tara, and many people who give foster and transport time to the dogs in Ireland. And the many people who support my small rescue through donations. (y) But that is why it galls me that some of the club rescues won't take dogs without a recognised national registration/pedigree, or have very large rescue accounts they are indeed sitting upon. Those clubs and individuals know who they are, too.

For example:

We serve the ACKCSC Rescue Trust through volunteer work. For information on available rescue's or volunteer opportunities such as fostering, transportation, ect. Please contact our Rescue Chairperson who coordinates these activities with the ACKCSC National Rescue Trust.

Above is the CKCSC of Greater Atlanta's rescue info.

Hi Sandy,
It was the ACKCSC website (that you posted) where I went for a contact. (I had to retrace my steps after making my original post to see where I'd actually gone to find a contact since it has been so long ago) The person in charge of my area is not the same person I contacted who turned their back on these two males. I made my phone call in the winter of 2007-2008. The woman there now took that position towards the end of this past summer, 2008. I directed the woman on the phone to the website of these dogs while I was on the phone with her. She looked at them while on the phone with me and went "oh, they are only CKC registered. We can't help them".
I was surprised and taken aback, but didn't know much at all about rescue, so didn't really know what to say.

I would suggest if anyone hit a "wall" like that, there are numerous people/organizations that may be able to help. Area clubs may get you help, Luckystar cavalier rescue or the CKCSCR.
I got a cavalier out of a bad situation with two calls, two emails and two hours. The small breed rescue that informed me of the cavalier in a kill shelter was SHOCKED how fast that dog moved out of there.
LOL- the head of their rescue called me to thank me (and I really didn't do anything). But there were 7 small/adoptable dogs they could pull and they only had fosters/room for 6.

Hi Sandy, I know much more now than I did and have quite a few contacts within rescue (thanks to Cavaliertalk and my breeder who is now the rescue coordinator for the area I am in)! (y) I wish I'd had that knowledge back then. I don't think I'd have any problem getting help for any dog that needed it today.

Just to throw my 2 cents in here...

I have worked with both Lucky Star and Cavalier Rescue and I have been nothing but amazed at the lengths these people go to for dogs, whether they are registered or not. If I see a cavalier of completely unknown origins on Petfinder, I email the area chairperson and most times, he's already on the case. If not, he immediately takes steps to get things moving for the dog and thanks me for the heads up.

In one recent case, the dog was even listed as a Cavalier mix, but it was pretty obvious from the picture that he wasn't a mix, and Cavalier rescue was already working on getting him out.

I don't know anything about the funding issues that have been brought up in this thread, but I see the work these groups do, and the lengths they go to for each dog, regardless of how extensive its needs are, and I feel really great that these people are there for them. And I haven't seen over-the-top fund-raising efforts being done by either of these groups, other than asking for donations on their website and having auctions, booths at shows, etc. Personally, I would hate to see people stop donating to rescue groups based on something ambiguous they read on a discussion forum. That would be a shame for all concerned, especially the dogs needing help, of course.

Rescue is a word that can be used to describe the people who actively work for the dogs, or the practices and methods of a particular service

I would hate anybody to think that what I am about to write is in any way a criticism of rescue co-ordinators or volunteers, because it is not, nor am I talking about the small struggling rescue services, but I do think that with some successful rescue organisations there are policies that could well be reviewed.

I have seen first hand what the volunteers do & I have a great deal of admiration for them. They spend their time sorting out problems that would reduce me to tears, and I could not knock the dedication shown to the unfortunate dogs that come into their hands.

I do not, however, think it is wrong to occasionally stop, look and question the policies of any organisations.

Circumstances change and small impoverished voluntary services can become large successful undertakings thanks to tireless workers, fundraisers, & because of bequests left by grateful owners.
There are undoubtedly cavalier rescue services in the UK that are sitting on large sums of money. One has recently published accounts showing £50,000 in the bank and another has £66,000.

Thrifty measures that were put in place years ago, when there was only a few hundred pounds in the bank to counter the threat of a large puppy farm closing, are perhaps unnecessary when there are many thousands of pounds on deposit.
I do wonder if the people that donated this money really expected it to sit in the bank year after year, gathering interest, rather than being used to make it easier for new owners to take on the burden of the elderly and sick rescues that need homes.

I certainly hope that with the recession, & the likelihood of more SM affected dogs coming into rescue over the coming years, that consideration will be given to use some of it in more creative ways, for instance by helping with paying for the first years insurance for healthy but aging dogs, or by agreeing to fund necessary medication long term for those that already have problems.

Margaret C

Thanks Margaret for confirming what I have also heard and had confirmed by other internal club sources. These are, by any measure, massive sums of money. I am aware of some clubs in the US with similar amounts.

I refer people to my very first post on this issue in this thread. I did not say ALL club rescues. I said SOME club rescues.

However I feel ALL club rescues should have the requirement to be transparent with their funds, especially those received in donations from people like you and me (and yes, I have donated to rescue and health funds via the clubs in the US and the UK myself). I think rescue needs to specify annually if not quarterly, how many dogs come in, how many are rehomed, pts etc, how funds are used, cost to the rescue of each dog (documented by receipt), charges made to new homes per dog, income received.

Each club as an official organisation following club rules and claiming club benefits should be accountable to members and donors for income. If it is sitting on 50k, 66k, or 75 k it needs to explain what that money is going to be used for, as it is a considerable stockpile of unused cash.

Just FYI Lucky Star is not club rescue so isn't amongst the cases I am referring to. I am a supporter of Lucky Star -- but just to be clear, Lucky Star is not supported by many of the clubs, because they purchase dogs at auction which is considered quite a controversial approach to rescue by many in all types of rescue. I do support fully their care for dogs, but I still am not sure I agree this is the best way to approach doing rescue myself. Most of us have wrestled with this issue, and sometimes feel a purchase is the best option in some cases. It is a difficult big picture issue. I respect their approach though and their decision to operate in this way fully.

The fact that some club rescues do wonderful work, or even some individuals within the clubs with large cash stockpiles, does not negate the fact that there is a problem with rescue if these places are only taking in 20-30 dogs a year (or more for that matter) and have those levels of unused funding. I would think many donors would wonder what their money is to be used for. For example and comparison, I operate on a fraction of 50k and take in anywhere from 40-70 dogs annually for rehoming.

Maybe the two UK clubs with those amounts of cash will explain at the next AGM what that money is going to be used for and will set out some statistics about their operations. Maybe some of you breeders in the UK Club need to start asking some questions -- because elsewhere you are all discussing how this cannot possibly be the situation, and some of you either are lying openly on those discussion boards -- as you are familiar with the inner workings of a range of clubs and in a position to know that I am right, and what you claim is wrong -- or are shockingly underinformed about club operations if you are in those positions and truly unaware of these amounts of money sitting in regional club accounts. Which is it, then, ladies of the clubs and committees? icon_nwunsure

Back