• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Video of Abbey's symptoms

linderbelle

I took this video the week before she went in for her mri. This is what I showed to my new vet. You can view it at our blog:

http://abbeygeorgelinda.blogspot.com/

Its 6 mins long and too long and I apologize--took too much video of her licking her paws but it does show all the different things she did.

Poor baby! Yep, that's very similar to how Sammy was before starting gabapentin. Only difference is he'd lick his front paws rather than back paws and he always made contact with his chin or ear or even eyes :eek: when he scratched, so he did quite a bit of damage. The head rubbing thing especially was very similar. Very sad to see :(

Thanks for posting the video, it really is useful. It would also be really useful to see how Abbey is behaving now.

Best wishes for Abbey!

That's very interesting. In the last section, I am wondering if the air scratching is a sensation in the foot as she licks it after and in general she licks her feet a lot so must be feeling something wrong in her foot? I always thought airs scratching was always a sensation on the body. What do you think?

Thank you for posting this. :flwr:

She licked her feet ALOT. Places on the carpet when we had carpet was like somebody had almost peed on the carpet. A few times at night woke up and thought she had peed in our bed but knew she wouldn't. Was still told allergies. Pauline that video was not shot at one time. Various times to show all her symptoms. The only one we didn't shoot was her on lead. Not sure on body vs feet. Apparently with her must be both and more. I'm trying to get the video moved to youtube--opened up a account there as the video is stopping and starting but bear with me as it takes time.

Excellent idea on the video of how she is doing. Thanks for mentioning that laram. Will do one tonight if hubby gets home before its dark. I'd be too scared to be videoing her outside etc. as I'm ready to grab her. That is such a great idea though--I think I will video her once a week. Why didn't I think of that--lol.

She's doing better every day and so are we.

and yes it breaks my heart to watch the video. When I watched it last night I felt sick to my stomach. Goes back to her being diagnosed as allergies for so many years and she was in pain.

Linda, thanks for posting the video, at times I felt I could be watching my dog. He is undergoing immunotherapy for an allergy to house dust mite. I am really really hoping that is all that is going on for him, but I have to say, I seriously have my doubts. When he was younger I noticed him yelping and jumping up for no apparent reason, which I put down to a 'bad dream', but now I think it could have been due to pain, but there have been no signs of pain at all with him for at least two years.
Could I ask you, when you were told Abbey had allergies, were you told that it was something specific, like I was, or were you told it was a general thing? My vet is good, I have confidence in him, and I am happy to pursue the immunotherapy route for now, but if it doesn't work, then I will push for an MRI to rule out SM.

Hope Abbey stays on that road to recovery, keep well yourself too, you are so dedicated, my hat goes off to you (y)

Last edited:
Linda, thank you so much for posting that video. Although there are some really good descriptions of the signs and syymptoms of SM available, it really helps to see these videos of the poor little mites in action, so to speak. It gives us all a better idea what to look out for in our own precious darlings.

I hope Abbey recovers well, and you remember to take care of yourself as well as your precious little girl.

Charli--sounds like yours has had allergy testing. Correct me if I'm wrong. Abbey had not had any allergy testing. I think in my blog I wrote that I had tested umpteen shampoos--umpteen different foods--even made their own food. Did that after finding Cavalier Talk. I don't like it when you say about the jumping and yelping--that doesn't sound like an allergy to me BUT I am not a doctor. Also, the methylprednisolone was masking Abbey's symptoms--not sure what drugs yours is on. I had faith in my vet too--for me that was the problem--had gone to her for 10 years and I'm sure this has gotten to her alot too. I have spoken to her since all this and she never even said to me "I'm sorry". I know everybody has told me not to blame your vet but in my boat the least she could have said are those two words.

This is like a fresh wound for me so again I am not a doctor and don't want to veer you into thinking your dog has sm so I'm trying to be careful in what I write.

She sleeps alot and I'm sure its the gabapentin. Before the surgery she was either sleeping or was in pain with the symptoms. She spends most of her time during the day in that playpen in the picture--I'm assuming you've been at "our" blog. She lets us know when she wants attention. She wags her tail and is happy when we talk to her. She's eating well. I think its really too early to make an assessment. We call the neurologist tomorrow to give a report. The last time we spoke he wanted us to call back on monday. On our last conversation he said he was very pleased at what we were reporting and we were reporting about the symptoms etc. I'll post tomorrow on what he says.

The reason we did the surgery are:

her age
symptoms for a long time and how miserable she was
the word "progression"--scared the hayull out of us on that one--waiting till she fell over --then what---put to sleep?
she had a seizure 2 weeks after getting her--sure she's been in pain all her life

Linda, I am so sorry if I have upset you with my questions, that was the last thing I wanted to do. :flwr: :flwr:
I am just trying to figure out if this immunotherapy is going to work, or if I am putting off the inevitable.
Take care,
Charlie

Charli--you haven't upset me at all. What gave you the idea that you upset me???? I apologize if I wrote something that gave you that idea.

This is like a fresh wound for me so again.[/quote]

I felt a bit guilty when I read that.

Ok, so lets stop apologizing to each other so!(y)

I think your video of symptoms will be so helpful. Thank you for doing this.

SM symptoms can sound so ordinary when you try & describe them. Seeing a little cavalier showing the extreme discomfort that can be caused speaks so much louder than words.
My old William rubs his body round the furniture just like Abbey.

I am reading your blog every day & keeping my fingers crossed for you and Abbey.

Best wishes,

Margaret C

Hi Margaret. Thank you for your post. Means alot to me and the video already has done some good as you have seen on my blog. I look at the video now and think to myself how could I think her actions were allergies. Guess my mind still plays tricks on me as then I didn't know what I know now about sm and I guess I just thought she was itchy. *sigh* I'm not sure how much my daily posts are really helping at this point so debating on whether to start going on a monthly deal etc. I'm curious though when you say you go to it daily could you please give me input as to what you are looking for etc.

Linda, I dont think your realise just how much help you really are, even to people to myself whose dog (hopefully) isnt a sufferer, sometimes he rubs his head, like across the floor, and shakes his head some days quite a lot, and i think "is this sm, do i need to be concerned" seeing your video really has shown me what it would look like had he got sm, what were the earlist symptoms to show first. di

Linda

I want you to know that I also check your blog almost every day.
I think about you and Abbey often and am concerned and interested about how you ladies are feeling, and hoping Abbey is improving and feeling well.
It is also a useful record for many like myself who are considering or awaiting the surgery to know what to expect and what is normal. I think you can help many people with your record and I hope you will continue. If every day is too difficult it's understandable, but many of us appreciate your updates when you feel up to it.

Thinking of you both

Jen and Ilsa

Guess my mind still plays tricks on me as then I didn't know what I know now about sm and I guess I just thought she was itchy. *sigh* I'm not sure how much my daily posts are really helping at this point so debating on whether to start going on a monthly deal etc. I'm curious though when you say you go to it daily could you please give me input as to what you are looking for etc.

I certainly look back now & think how could I not know? I think that is the same for most of the owners of SM dogs.

Even now that SM is widely discussed, how do you believe the unbelievable? There is a lot of owners struggling with the same dilemma & your video will help them identify what they are seeing.

I visit your blog daily because I so want to know that it has been worthwhile for you, & that Abbey is okay and progressing well.

I think you will find there is a lot of people rooting for you, your husband, & your little dog.

Best wishes,

Margaret C

Yes, thanks for posting the video - it will help others.(y)

Geordie's symptoms are more subtle; I will try to get a video. It is helpful to see the variations in symptoms.

Thanks all for caring. We put in a call to the neurologist this early evening but of course was too late for a call back. Hopefully he's in tomorrow and can call in the a.m. I will post in the blog when he calls. I know what you mean Harley--I'm watching Bentley too--probably have never mentioned that but seen a couple weird things and I'm terrified. I don't think I could go through this again without ending up in the funny farm.

Back