• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Basil and Baxter

Basil

Spent an hour or so taking some photos of the dogs in the livingroom today. Bloody nightmare trying to get them to sit still, eventually gave in and waited for them to calm down before getting these:

3354814602_9635274b1a_o.jpg

2:
3354827798_6b815b7a08_o.jpg

3:
3354859614_6df866304f_o.jpg

4:
3354052849_9a47666ba8_o.jpg

5: Sad Eyes
3358212952_813b62ea6f_o.jpg

6:
3357394331_696b9e801a_o.jpg

Not used the camera in a while, was good fun! :)

Gary.

Last edited:
those are wonderful. Your dogs are precious and you are an excellent photographer. I'd be interested in knowing the lens/F-stop/settings/lighting arrangement you used in those. I have a Canon 40D and a couple of decent lenses...just need to figure out how to use it to the fullest.

those are wonderful. Your dogs are precious and you are an excellent photographer. I'd be interested in knowing the lens/F-stop/settings/lighting arrangement you used in those. I have a Canon 40D and a couple of decent lenses...just need to figure out how to use it to the fullest.

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words! Used a Nikon D3 with 24 to 70 f2.8 lens. I used F8 with ONE flash pointed at a white ceiling at a slight angle. 200/s.

The key to the simplicity of these shots is obviously the clean background. I used a Calumet Background Support and large roll of white paper.

Let us see some photos when done, its easy peasy with a tiny bit practice :)

Gary.

Hi Basil

I am reading and reading and snaping but I am miles behind ,your photos are superb and definately pro quality and the Cavs are brilliant .:)

Hi Basil

I am reading and reading and snaping but I am miles behind ,your photos are superb and definately pro quality and the Cavs are brilliant .:)

Happy to help in any way I can, it is really a doddle I promise.

Gary.

Spent an hour or so taking some photos of the dogs in the livingroom today. Bloody nightmare trying to get them to sit still, eventually gave in and waited for them to calm down before getting these:

3354814602_9635274b1a_o.jpg

2:
3354827798_6b815b7a08_o.jpg

3:
3354859614_6df866304f_o.jpg

4:
3354052849_9a47666ba8_o.jpg

Not used the camera in a while, was good fun! :)

Gary.

Love them all :)

Hi again

Got my 85 mm F1.4 and the little sigma but still waiting on the SB 900 ,what software do you use and can you expect to get any where near your quality with a D80 but might get shortly a D300 ,so with inferior equipment can you still get reasonable quality pic without going up to your quality corker of a camera D3 ,I only mess around with elements 7 ,or is it knowledge of how to use what you have .Your pics are certainly an inspiration .
Thanks again

Your camera will do EXACTLY the same as mine with regards to this style of shot. Same flash as I use too, an excellent unit.

Here is what I recommend you do. Use either the 50mm or the 85mm, and use them both at f8.

• Create a clean background, if possible, a background which extends from under the dogs feet, to human head height without any folds (I use a roll of paper with a sweeping curve upwards, hung on a frame)
  • Put the SB-900 on, and point it at the ceiling, keep it on default TTL settings
  • Stick the D80 in manual mode
  • Choose F8 and 200th of a second
  • Compose the shot, focus on the eyes and fire
The flash should bounce of the ceiling and create a nice diffused light. If the photo is not popping out at you, and perhaps a little dull, increase the power of the flash (bottom left button on the SB-900).

If you do that, with the right background, you will have shots very similar! Very little editing is required, however I use the bundled Capture NX2 software (Nikon), and sometimes Photoshop. Usually just to clean any dust and give a sharpen due to RAW mode softness.

Gary.

You take AMAZING photos!! They are just beautiful. I especially like the last one.
:snap:

Aww ta :) I wish I had time to take photos of them all day, sadly I don't :( Want to get plenty with Baxter as a pup though, never got as many of Basil as I would have liked.

Gary.

OMG, I told my hubby after seeing that last picture where the dogs are sleeping in each other's arms that our little girl just might need a brother or a sister. very cute

OMG, I told my hubby after seeing that last picture where the dogs are sleeping in each other's arms that our little girl just might need a brother or a sister. very cute

Do it! :) Basil never has a dull moment now, they seem inseparable. Best thing ever getting the 2nd dog, they are never bored.

Gary.

I love the freckles on both of their noses. Basil is being so tolerant of little Baxter - letting him crawl all over him! And I agree with you Gary - even though I have four right now, I don't think I will be without at least two dogs ever again.

Your babies are just gorgeous! I love the last picture especially, looks like they are giving each other a hug.
Their eyes look like big watery saucers too - so cute :lotsaluv:

Back