Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Basil and Baxter

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi again

Got my 85 mm F1.4 and the little sigma but still waiting on the SB 900 ,what software do you use and can you expect to get any where near your quality with a D80 but might get shortly a D300 ,so with inferior equipment can you still get reasonable quality pic without going up to your quality corker of a camera D3 ,I only mess around with elements 7 ,or is it knowledge of how to use what you have .Your pics are certainly an inspiration .
    Thanks again
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Your camera will do EXACTLY the same as mine with regards to this style of shot. Same flash as I use too, an excellent unit.

Here is what I recommend you do. Use either the 50mm or the 85mm, and use them both at f8.

• Create a clean background, if possible, a background which extends from under the dogs feet, to human head height without any folds (I use a roll of paper with a sweeping curve upwards, hung on a frame)
    • Put the SB-900 on, and point it at the ceiling, keep it on default TTL settings
    • Stick the D80 in manual mode
    • Choose F8 and 200th of a second
    • Compose the shot, focus on the eyes and fire

The flash should bounce of the ceiling and create a nice diffused light. If the photo is not popping out at you, and perhaps a little dull, increase the power of the flash (bottom left button on the SB-900).

If you do that, with the right background, you will have shots very similar! Very little editing is required, however I use the bundled Capture NX2 software (Nikon), and sometimes Photoshop. Usually just to clean any dust and give a sharpen due to RAW mode softness.

Gary.

Post Thanks / Like

You take AMAZING photos!! They are just beautiful. I especially like the last one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stacy710 View Post
    You take AMAZING photos!! They are just beautiful. I especially like the last one.
    Aww ta I wish I had time to take photos of them all day, sadly I don't Want to get plenty with Baxter as a pup though, never got as many of Basil as I would have liked.

Gary.

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Your pictures are absolutely fabulous.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

OMG, I told my hubby after seeing that last picture where the dogs are sleeping in each other's arms that our little girl just might need a brother or a sister. very cute

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vikki View Post
    OMG, I told my hubby after seeing that last picture where the dogs are sleeping in each other's arms that our little girl just might need a brother or a sister. very cute

Do it! Basil never has a dull moment now, they seem inseparable. Best thing ever getting the 2nd dog, they are never bored.

Gary.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the freckles on both of their noses. Basil is being so tolerant of little Baxter - letting him crawl all over him! And I agree with you Gary - even though I have four right now, I don't think I will be without at least two dogs ever again.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Your babies are just gorgeous! I love the last picture especially, looks like they are giving each other a hug.
    Their eyes look like big watery saucers too - so cute
    Mam to Millie, Chloe & Rex
    Baby boy Jack (waiting at the bridge) xxxxx

Post Thanks / Like

Great pictures!!! They are both absolutely precious...I love their freckles.
    Jato - Blenheim, Nov. 2007
    Zoey - Ruby, June 2008