• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

So frustrated!

vicarrieous

My morning did not start off. I guess you can say my frustration has been mounting but I let it all come out today. In a previous post I talked about our 1 year old Blenheim boy Albie who has been ithcing A LOT. After a quick chat with the vet she suggested a new diet and a food trial. We are about 4 weeks in and they love their new food but no success on stopping the itching. To make matters worse, last night I put Frontline on both my boys and the vet tech suggested putting a drop on their heads since last year I pulled 3 fleas on different occasions off Albies face. Only a few minutes later it looked like it had irritated his skin on his head and there were a few sores. This morning they came in from their romp in the backyard and what did I see on Albies face but a darn FLEA! I phoned my vet right away and said we need to figure this out. Why isnt the Frontline working (granted I am only finding 1 flea but I am paranoid that I just cant see more) why did it appear to make his skin red, why are there sores and why wont this itching stop. I am so distrought that I am being a bad mom and not making him better. I was on the verge of tears this morning with the vet and I dont know how to make him better. She happened to have an emergency call so we didnt get to talk much and she said she would call me later to chat. I know that this doesnt sound like anything major compared to others issues but I feel like I am failing him by not being more aggressive to figure out what this is. I know that if it is allergies it takes time to find out but I just feel horrible and helpless. Ugg what a great way to start my day!

I hope all of your days start much better!

First off Frontline takes 24 hours or so to kill fleas. It would not be a big deal to see one only the next morning that is still there. I presume your vet would have mentioned this? Also it sounds like you have a dog sensitive to the chemicals in the treatment. This also is not all that uncommon -- try a shampoo and flea comb and make sure the entire house is disinfected as well as bedding and all animals treated or they will just keep recurring.

If you have a very itchy dog and cannot find the reason for this I would suggest at least discussing SM with your vet. If after a period of time scratching continues with no alleviation and no apparent cause, you really must begin to look at this possibility. Cavalierhealth.org has an up to date list of neurologists in various regions and this may be where you want to go next.

With fleas though you do need to give the dog time. If he has flea dermatitis it may take a couple of weeks for his skin to settle down.

If your vet is baffled I'd suggest trying a different vet for a different perspective and then if nothing can be found, ask for a referral to a neurologist to try and address your dog's clear discomfort. You do need to figure out what is going on. Good luck. (y)

Frontline has not been effective lately in some parts of the US-fleas have mutated? I wouldn't place any application except where the manufacturer states to apply it. It may be that you need to check with a University canine dermatology clinic. Have you worked on the yard to decrease flea population there? Unfortunately flea problems can be in the yard and house and besides treating your best friend you have to tackle the others-no little task.:xfngr: that you can get to the bottom of this-no fun watching him so miserable.

Good point -- also that did seemvery odd to recommend putting a chemical on the dog's head. Maybe the blisters resulting are one reason why the manufacturer says not to do this... :confused: You should never need to put anything this concentrated that far up on a dog -- if it works to the tail it is going to work to the head -- it doesn't need to be put on the head.

Old fashioned shampoos and flea combs can be a lot more effective.

Thanks for the input. I would not go as far as saying there is an infestation. Each time we have found a flea its been above his eye and usually right after they have been outside. I used a flea comb and found no other fleas on him and washed his bedding. I was also leary about putting Frontline on his head but the Vet tech suggested we put just a drop ontop since whenever we find one its on his face.

His itching does seem to not have a direct cause. I am concerned that it could be SM but my vet does not seem to be very educated about it. The closest neurologist is Madison, WI which is about 2 1/2 hours away. I am also concerned that if this is what it is, what are the costs associated with it? I mean no matter what I will pay for whatever it needs to make him better, but if its going to be a lengthly expensive process I need to start saving now.

How can I stress to my vet that I want to be more proactive and start ruling out any other possibilities?

Karlin is itching behind the front legs like in their armpits a predominate area to itch of SM? He does also itch at his chin and behind his ears some and does a little paw licking. I just dont know where to go from here. I am waiting on my vet to call and prepared to have a LONG discussion.

Hi , sounds exactly like what Nifa had , allergy to a flea or mite bite . Under arms , chest and legs and on top of paws between toes . Lots of itchy scabs and very sore when open .
After trying everything , as you did our vet suggested an antiseptic wash , think its similar or may even be hib scrub like what they use in hospitals . We washed her affected areas for a week and it cleared up . She was also on antibiotics to prevent infection .
Fleas are banned in our house , don't want her to get that ever again . We use advocate applied to back of neck .
It will take a while but it is curable .
Mimi

I am not completely sold on the one flea being a problem. The vet already did a skin check and didnt find much of a skin irritation. She said it was a little pink under the front legs and a few scabs near the head. Also its has been winter here and that is really when the symptoms started about maybe 4 months ago. Fleas havent come out until the last couple days.

This is just an update for those who are interested. I wrote a post entitled "So Frustrated" a day ago about Albies itching and not knowing what was going on.

Today I took him to the vet for another chat and health check. The vet talked about how we ruled out food allergies and we should start looking other places. She noticed some discharge not a lot in his ears and the scabs on his head. She took a sample for ear mites and the found ONE mite egg. So now we are treating for ear mites. I guess I was a little upset because we were at the vets only 4 weeks ago and she said his ears looked fine and kind of blew off my concerns I thought. She also said that his itching around his head would be related to the mites which I can understand but his itching behind his front legs I am not sure about. She said since the skin is all one organ that its all probably related but it doesnt quite make sense to me. Maybe I am just overly paranoid.

Also, I dont know how he could get ear mites. He rarely has close contact with other dogs. I mean he might come across one at the vet here and there but thats about it. Plus he has had these itching issues for about 4 months now. My vet said that he could have had these since he was a puppy and he just never let on and the symptoms have within the past 4 months escalated. Does this sound right? I am crossing my fingers that this works and it will end his itchy plight! The vet put him on Revolution for two months along with Kip our other dog since she said if Albie has it then its more than likely Kip has it although he shows none of the symptoms Albie has.

Does this sound right or familiar? I am just over thinking things?

Back