• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do most people let off lead?

I don't let mine off lead, the only park in our area is quite large but no matter what direction we walk we're heading for a nearby exit which are all pretty impossible to bypass. Travelling to beaches/parks is quite a chore with Gavins projectile vomiting car sickness :eek:

I can let Dotty off her recall is brilliant even when there are some wonderful smells around. She is never more than 20 feet away from me stops dead in her tracks if chasing a bird when I call her she comes.
Ziggy is the complete opposite but is getting better. I do let him off lead in the enclosed field and his recall is getting better now but not enough for me to let him off when we go to a huge park woodland walk he has a long line for then. Our local park gets a mix of dogs some nice some not. If the nice dog walkers are there I do let him off because he runs around with peoples dogs I know come back when called he follows suit then.

Michelle

Thanks everyone......fantastic response. The recall lead we have is just like Dylans and it does give him a good run.
I dont feel relaxed with him off lead so I'll keep him on one, at least I know he's getting a good walk and plenty of exercise.

Mel:dogwlk:

I allow Holly off lead twice at least twice a week at the forest park. She has great recall as we have practiced this from an early age. I would never allow her off lead in an area with traffic as she does like to run on ahead and tends to change direction suddenly. This seems to be common with all cavs and I think they should never be put at risk with traffic. We started off lead training with treats at about 6 mths and to date she has never disappointed us. Nothing makes me happier than the sight of her big doggy smile, bounding through the woods with her ears flapping and her tail wagging like mad.:p

I don't let mine off lead unless we're in a completely fenced area. We promised their breeder we'd have a fenced yard for them.

Only in our fenced backyard. All it would take would be a rabbit or squirrel & all 3 would be off.

As long as we are in the local park I will let Tilly off. She will recall 9 times out of ten if she is the only one off lead.

Fern is banned from ever going off lead as she just heads straight for the nearest exit and hops straight THROUGH the gate (skinny little monkey) and we then spend at least 20 mins trying to catch her again.

If Leo could see I would have no issues letting him off... but it would be a little dangerous as things are now.

I try to let Ruby off lead for about 10mins every day but never anywhere there could be traffic as i do think she would go ahead regardless. i always have a check to see which other dogs are around 1st. only once has she not come straight back when called when she was busy saying hello to another dog-little monkey came back when she was ready & then she got a good girl still as i couldnt tell her off or she would have no incentive to recall next time! i practised again& again with her before i let her off so it would be about 3months id had her before i felt she was ready. to begin with she stayed by my side & now she has a little potter off but looks over to me often. we're lucky as there are lots of good enclosed walks so if we're in a good smallish park i stand in the middle so i can see her at all times. just this week she has taken to lying on her back when its time for her lead to go back on but i think she is already getting to know thats 1 game we arn't going to play!:) mostly i guess it all depends on the individual Rubes has never shown any interest in cats,squirrels etc but just seems happiest off lead so she can sniff every single blade of grass!!

Nope, no off lead here....

Alice would be gone like a shot after a bird or anything.... Although she's only 4 months I do not forsee this changing. (Perhaps if that trainer from the UK, Victoria Stillwell came and trained her?) :-D We do have a fenced back yard though and we've begn taking her to the local dog park to let her run off lead. Do they have dog parks where you are?

There are no fenced in "Dog parks" near where I live. I wish there were as the one's I see on American TV programs look great.

Mel

I read this with interest - thought it was only akitas with no recall sense whatso ever!:jump:

i havnt got a cavy - yet. but this is something i discussed with my partner off lead or not! my two are never off lead, it is part of my rehoming contract that they are not and we have had the conversation is it fair to let the little newcomer off and not these two!

Cally, the cavalier we did have, had wonderful recal and was rarely on her lead, except around roads. we are very lucky that we have lots of dog walking places right on our doorstep that are over run with dogs off lead, i think that though you know your own dog you do not know everyone elses so i think i would definately stick to leads!

Mine both get off the lead at the beach or the forest walks we do, we are quite lucky that we have lots of good places to take them.

They never get off the lead anywhere near traffic though:)

Back