• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

strange drooling?!

Katelyn

I've noticed that lately when I bring Scarlett out on the lead, after about ten minutes she starts drooling from each side of her mouth. It's quite groos because she starts tossing her head around and I have to avoid the bits of frothy drool..:grnyuk:
does anyone else have this problem? I didnt think cavs were drooly dogs. She never does it apart from when we're walking and the minute we're back inside she stops. She had a collar when I first started walking her so I thought that might have something to do with it but I have switched to a harness and it still happens. I mentioned it to my vet last time I was there but she basically ignored me!

Drooling can happen when they are worried about something.
My friend owns the sister of my Rosie and they used to be my next door neighbour. They were always round mine when she was a puppy, so her dogs are well used to my house. Since they moved away and they come to visit us Rosies sister always starts drooling. But when we go to her house or meet for walks she is fine.

Harley always drools when out walking, i think its excitement, its usually a sign he is enjoying himself. di

Drooling like this is generally a sign of anxiety, or could be overexcitement or a medical problem. Dogs don't really drool from happiness -- though they may drool in anticipation of food -- the food might bring happiness, but they are drooling from stimulated salivary glands from anticipation of something to eat :lol: (and of course some breeders drool a lot, like mastiff breeds, but the cavalier isn't one of these).

Is there perhaps something about walks that worries him? Or does he just get hugely overexcited about a walk, which might cause some drooling? The more walks are a regular part of every day, the less overstimulated he should become.

This is a good article on some general causes of drooling:

http://www.sarahsdogs.com/qa/why_do_dogs_drool.html

Question: Why do dogs drool?

When Your Dog is Drooling
It is normal when your dog drools at the sight of food. Drooling is also a normal reaction to stress for some pooches. Some dog breeds drool more because the breed has looser lips than other dog breeds.

An over stimulated dog can start to drool suddenly. It could be the stress of being near the puppies of another dog. Some dogs drool when company arrives.

On the more serious side of drooling, your dog could have dental or mouth problems. Other problems that can cause drooling include digestive problems, illness, allergic reaction or poisoning.

Different Causes for Sudden Drooling
If your dog suddenly starts to drool all of a sudden, it could be a sign of different conditions that require medical attention. Drooling could be the first sign that something is wrong with your dog. It is important that you determine the cause of drooling so that you can protect your pet's health. You should have your veterinarian check your pet for proper diagnosis and treatment because there are many serious causes of sudden dog drooling including dental problems, serious illness and poisoning.

Dental and Mouth Problems
There are a variety of dental and mouth problems that can cause drooling. If your pet has a problem associated with their teeth, mouth or throat, you might be able to assess the problem if you can make a careful check of your pet's teeth, mouth and throat. If your dog yelps when it catches a thrown object, it may be a signal that a tooth has been cracked. It could be that the tooth may have cracked without your knowledge and has now become infected which also causes drooling.

Drooling may be caused by a splinter acquired through chewing on wooden objects such as sticks and furniture. A piece of wood may also be lodged between teeth. It could also be that an object has become lodged under the tongue, roof of the mouth or in your dog's throat.

A curious dog may put their mouth too close to an insect, beehive or other insect nest. Insect bites, spider bites and bee stings can cause drooling and you may notice swelling.

A dog with the condition known as periodontal disease, the condition of infected or irritated gums, will drool.

Drooling from Nausea, Digestive Problems and Illness
A dog may drool in response to nausea such as that caused by carsickness. Digestive problems can cause drooling in dogs. If your dog has a combination of symptoms including drooling or foaming, a hard stomach, and frequent attempts at vomiting, this can indicate a potentially deadly case of gastric distortion volvulus which is also known as bloat. This condition can kill a dog within hours. Other digestive problems that can cause drooling

Drooling may also be present in some health conditions and other illnesses including heat stroke, epilepsy, hepatic encephalopathy, pseudo rabies and masticatory muscle myositis. Drooling accompanied by a cough could indicate heart trouble.

Drooling from Allergic Reaction and Poisoning
Your dog may drool uncontrollably after eating poison or being exposed to a food to which it has an allergic reaction. It is important that you act quickly if you think that your pet has been poisoned or if your pet's throat is swelling as a part of an allergic reaction.

Sometimes a vague symptom, unusual drooling can indicate a problem. When your pet begins to drool more than usual or uncontrollably, it is important that you act quickly to find the cause. Depending on how serious the condition is, your pet's health or life may be at stake.

I dont think it would be a medical problem because she only ever does it while walking..but she has a walk every day and it even happens when we're not walking anywhere particularly exciting and she seems totally calm so im still not sure! I dont see how she would be stressed out while walking in a familiar place and acting normal..what do you think?

My little guy drools as well, but usually only when we go to the park, so for him, I think it is over-excitement. He gets walked daily, but we get to the park only about once a fortnight. My vet wasn't particularly interested in this either:-|.

I agree, its not the most pleasant thing, especially because people think he is cute and stop to say hello (of course they're right, he is cute, and the most handsome dog in the park!!):dogwlk:

Holly always drools a bit when we walk in the countryside or the forest. I got really freaked out the 1st time she did it, but the vet said its just excitement from the new smells. He did warn to watch her closely tho in case she does eat any wild mushrooms or plants.
Now I just keep my eye on her and always make sure I have plenty of water and tissues and she's fine.
Its definately not my fav time for a kiss tho:p

My two normally drool after a nice long walk in the forest, I think it's just the excitement.

They normally wipe it accross each others backs:yuk:

Of course ct comes up when I google a question.

Maggie sometimes drools (long drippy drool) when we go to the beach. Only ever when we are at the beach.
Her favorite place in the whole wide world.
So I googled it.
Fairly confident it's when she gets over excited.

Guinness gets these strings of drool while on walks (only time he gets it), it's not that he eats anything, I thinks it's normal with the excitement. And then he shakes and there are drool lines on his head for the whole walk.

Mine drool when they're running about daft off lead and manage to get it on each other's backs regularly. Millie, my oldest, probably drools the most - I carry a facecloth in my pocket and have been known to shout "come here mrs slobbychops" and she comes back for a chin wipe. I'd agree it's excitement and the presence of bunnies, duckies and squirrels to chase.

Back