• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

behaviour

ann murray

Hello, new user, have had a Rescue KCC two years has heart problem, have new one 1 year old, both live in kitchen, problem has started that minute they wake up, could up 4, 5 or 6 a.m. they both scratch and bang the kitchen door down I want to stop this behaviour. Bring them for walks am with them all day all ideas thank you, will post pictures of them on blog when I find out how to do it, thank you.:)

It may be that they need to relieve themselves. If you take them outside for a potty break or walk at 10pm or later, they might not wake up so early. Or they might be hungry. What time(s) of day do you normally feed them?

I let mine out last thing at night - ususally sometime between 10:30 and 11:00 and they are scratching at the door of the room they sleep in by 6:30 to 7:00 am. I let them out and they bolt out the door to go out and pee and poo. Then they eat. So, for my brood, I know they're hungry and have to do their business. Unless I started feeding them at night, I don't know how I would change that behavior. Interestingly, I am on vacation and Riley (my SM dog who had surgery last summer) is with me and she is content to sleep in my bed with me until I get up. So at least I know she's not the instigator of the annoying behavior!!

Reread this and have edited my first response to say:

When you say they live in the kitchen but you are home all day -- does that mean they never are let out of the kitchen but live there all the time? Or are you just talking about first thing in the morning?

If the former, that is really your problem (and would be for any dog of any breed, but particularly cavaliers) -- they will be very bored and feeling abandoned (especially as they will know you are at home) -- a walk daily isn't going to be enough interaction or really even exercise for this breed which bonds closely to people and has hundreds of years of breeding to want to be around people all the time.

If the latter: setting aside that they may actually need to relieve themselves (do they get a walk last thing at night to make sure they have peed and pooped? How many hours are they then in the kitchen before you come down? If it is more than about 8 hours, they are probably uncomfortable and need to relieve themselves). Or: do you give in and go down and let them out some mornings? If you do this even once, you have trained them to know that if they make noise, sometimes the yet what they want -- you come down. Either you need to ignore them totally and completely or I'd crate train them or use a high, sturdily built x-pen to confine them down a but further. Ypu may even find that if they have a comfy covered and dim crate to retreat into, they will sleep in there more happily until you come down, even if you leave the door to the crate open.

Maybe you can explain a bit more as it is hard to know what you mean from your brief post and maybe I am not reading this correctly? (y)

Thank you for you responses. I have in the past two nights brought them out for a walk later and played with them a little later and when I got up at 7.15 a.m. I woke them up. thank you again

Back