• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Split nail

Devilica

Fern split her nail on sunday night, right along the nail rather than across it. It bled for a while but stopped fairly fast. I bathed it in salt water regularly and tried to keep it clean.

Monday morning our vet nurse saw it and said to just keep an eye on it.

Late weds night Fern didn't seem quite herself and was limping slightly so first thing thursday morning we went to the vets. By this point the pad was looking sore and was oozing a little. She went straight for a general anesthetic to have the nail cut back to the nail bed and cleaned.

Fingers crossed the antibiotics will take care of the infection as otherwise we will lose the whole toe :cry*ing:

We go back tomorrow for dressing changes.

Just a warning that even the most simple injury can be a big problem. I know there was nothing more I could have done but I still feel guilty.

IMG_3360.jpg

Ahh poor babe, that sounds really sore, :xfngr: the antibiotics will do their job.

Its only cause you love her that you are feeling guilty, its the last thing we want to see them hurt :flwr:.

She does look sorry for herself, I bet she is being spoiled rotten. Gentle hugs to Fern off us :flwr::flwr:

Ouch, that must hurt. You're right, the simplest injury can quickly become a big deal, especially when it involves the feet.

Give her an extra hug from us, and fingers and paws are crossed her quick recovery. :xfngr::xfngr::paw::paw::paw:

Ah poor little girl, she's a real beauty!
Get well soon Fern xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:xfngr:

Oh, poor little Fern. She looks lovely. So sorry about her toe. I hope the meds take care of it.
I did know how prone to infection the nails are if they split, but you are the first actual person I've seen have it actually happen. It is more of an issue I have to watch with my big dogs. I have to keep their nails clipped frequently, and they HATE it. If they get long, the pressure of the nail tip against the ground will cause them to split.

Yeah it did seem a little extreme, and her nails really weren't THAT long.

Dressing was changed today which she handled really well. She is just such a hyperactive little pup that getting her to rest it is impossible. At least she is now allowed short walks on a short lead... she was very unimpressed at being carried round today while everyone else got to walk. She would have been far more unimpressed had I left her at home though.

We make quite a view on our walks... Fern all bandaged up... Tilly doing her bunny hopping SM scratching and our rescue boy Leo tying us up in knots as he is completely blind and likes to run in big circles on his extending lead. I sometimes wonder if im quite sane :)

Oh poor girl, I bet that must be really painful. She looks so fed up.

Give her a big kiss from me :lotsaluv::flwr:

Ah poor Fern, she looks really p'd off. It must be really painful for her,poor love. Hope the antibiotics soon get to work for her, and that she makes a quick recovery. Best wishes.

Back