Thread: Male dogs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Male dogs

Does anyone have any hints for preventing non altered males from marking territory indoors?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, altering them has the biggest success rate. If that is for some reason not on the cards, then training -- the same way you housetrain. 100% supervision 100% of the time, distraction the nanosecond the leg starts to go up, and praise for lowering that leg. You will have to clean the scent that is already there which may mean throwing out existing furniture/carpet/rugs if they cannot be cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner -- normal cleaners will NOT remove the scent they return to time and again to remark at the same place.

PS Also if you have more than one intact male this too will contribute enormously to the problem. It is very hard to stop two intact males from marking at least some of the time if they live together.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought I replied to this thread before sorry.

We had the same problem ages ago. I was all ready the neuter then someone told me to try training him! It's a case of catching him in the act and giving a firm "NO!". We had him all trained in 2 weeks. At friends houses, as I am distracted, I have rarely caught him so he wears rather expensive pants. I tried making my own but they often shifted position, uncovering the offending part!
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'