• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Today, Turned from Bad to Worse

kmatt

So tonight at a little after ten, I went to go and check on Teddy. He had been acting sluggish over the last few hours and I was growing worried because I haven't heard from him. He had just come back from a visit to Texas, we drove ten hours two days ago and then drove back, from choosing a little sister for him. He just sat in his carrier like he always does and slept, but when it came time to get out and go inside for dinner once we got home he was acting kind of funny so I thought I'd keep a close eye on him.

I'm just getting home and thought I'd let everyone know that I put my baby to sleep tonight. According to the vets, Teddy had a brain hemorrhage a little after nine and although we were able to save him, his brain had gone without oxygenated blood for so long that he had become a vegetable.

The vets told me when I rescued Teddy that his epilepsy might be a problem. That this was a possibility someday, but I never expected it to happen so soon. He only turned four a week ago. :(

3297741161_ef76d4939f.jpg

Now Anna isn't going to have a brother to play with. I'm at a loss of what to do. I paid today in full for Anna, but I don't know if I'm ready for another Cavvy.

Please keep Teddy in your prayers.

-Kmatt

:(

So very sorry to read your sad news, you must feel so lost without your Teddy but he is at peace & the hard decision you had to make was obviously what you had to do :(
It may not be the way you would have wanted to introduce a new cav to your home but I'm sure Anna will bring you much happiness & will make you smile again, enjoy her.

I'm so sorry, what a terrible shock for you. He was too young but you gave him a wonderful life I am so sorry for your loss.

Jennifer

I am so, so sorry to hear of your loss:(

Only you can decide whether you are ready to take Anna now or not,maybe it may help you to have her companionship but then again you may not feel ready.

I will keep you and Teddy in my thoughts.

Anna may bring you comfort at this sad time.

Im so sorry to hear about Teddy - its just heartbreaking that you've lost him so suddenly and at such a young age :(

Your in my thoughts :flwr:

I'm very sorry to hear about Teddy.It's so hard to cope with an unexpected loss like this.As for Anna,perhaps it's fate intervening and she was meant to be a part of your life at this time.I hope she brings you comfort and you grow to love her as much as you loved Teddy.
Sins

Oh Sarah my heart aches for you. There are unfortunately no words to say at times like this. When my shih tzu passed away 7 years ago I was unable to function as she was my only dog. I couldn't even hardly get out of bed. Shortly after we got another shih tzu within a couple weeks. He didn't replace her at all--totally 2 different personalities but it might help you with another since you've already paid etc. Only you can decide that though. I'm am so deeply sorry this happened.

How heartbreaking for you :(. Sudden loss just shocks the soul. Give yourself time to grieve for your little man :flwr:. RIP sweet Teddy

I am so sorry about Teddy and feel for you.

You may at this time have mixed feelings about Anna but I have no doubt that she will help you, not to get over Teddy but will bring her own joy to you.

I am again so sorry for your sudden loss of Terry. I was thinking of you today and thought that if Teddy met and seemed to care for Anna, he may have wanted you to take her. It is very difficult and painful I am sure. It took me over 3 years to get Ilsa after my last dog passed but if my other dog had already approved the new addition it may have been different. I'll be thinking of you and lighting a candle for Teddy.

Jennifer

I am so sorry to hear about your baby boy. You must feel devastated and lost. I wish there were words for times like these, but they just fail me.

As far as Anna goes, only you can know. My word of caution would be to do nothing fast. Allow yourself to grieve and in time you will know if she has a place in your home and heart at this time. If you decide that the timing of all this interferes with bonding with her, then you can rehome her down the road a ways. If you do it right now while in the midst of this raw emotion, you might regret it later on.

Many hugs to you.

I am so sorry -- this was far too young an age. :( How very, very hard.

If you are not ready for another cavalier, any decent breeder will fully understand your situation and refund your money. Maybe ask to wait a while for a later litter. It can be hard to take on another dog, especially a puppy as they are demanding, at a time when you want to just cherish the memories of a departed friend.

When you feel ready to do so and if you haven't yet, be sure Ted's breeder knows about his epilepsy, if you know who the breeder is. Breeders need to know about health conditions to make future breeding decisions.

Thank you from everyone for your kind words of support. I've phoned Teddy's breeder, it was a little hard to find her because Teddy was a rescue but I got her eventually. I've told her everything that has happened since I've owned him and even have sent a copy of is medical records to her so that she can talk to her vet and for future reference.

I've also phoned Anna's breeder and have told her that I might need to wait to pick her up or wait on another litter, but luckily because I have another five weeks before I can pick her up allows me some time to get my head straight.

It just goes to show you how sudden things can go from great to bad, but also how supportive the Cavalier community is. Thank you all.

I'm so sorry to hear about Teddy, it's always harder when they're so young...It seems like Anna's breeder is working with you and will be flexible if you decide to wait for another litter. Since you have 5 weeks before you would pick her up you have time to think about whether or not now is the right time to get another puppy. I'm so sorry :(

Back