• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Article on Dogworld re: Cavalier club members thwart health plans

I have been pretty unimpressed with Committee of the CKCS Club up until now, as I felt that they were failing to give a clear indication to it's members of what was expected.

Full credit to them now though, as this was an unambiguous statement of intent.

I am very disappointed about the outcome: I have gradually read about or been told about more breeders who are scanning and I was hopeful that this would be the start of a widespread change. The recent events rather crush this hope.

I nearly choked on my cup of tea when I read how much money was spent on the SGM etc. There am I pleased with my efforts at raising the odd 20 quid or so for the SM fund and all this money was squandered. :bang:

Last edited:
I have been pretty unimpressed with Committee of the CKCS Club up until now, as I felt that they were failing to give a clear indication to it's members of what was expected.

Full credit to them now though, as this was an unambiguous statement of intent.

I am very disappointed about the outcome: I have gradually read about or been told about more breeders who are scanning and I was hopeful that this would be the start of a widespread change. The recent events rather crush this hope.

I nearly choked on my cup of tea when I read how much money was spent on the SGM etc. There am I pleased with my efforts at raising the odd 20 quid or so for the SM fund and all this money was squandered. :bang:

The Cavalier Committee and their Chairman are to be congratulated on the efforts they are now making. There was an excellent & encouraging health report which can now be read on their website

There are a lot more breeders scanning.

The members that turned up to defeat this committee proposal were the same hard core of breeders/exhibitors that organised the petition to dismiss me from the committee.
They do not want to health check their dogs for SM.

These top breeders are determined to try and stop the research into SM. While saying publicly that they support Sarah Blott's EBV programme they are actually trying to discourage & downplay the need to MRI & submit the results.
They will not be concerned about the waste of money.

Hopefully next year some more moderate members will manage to get to the AGM and make their wishes known.

To be fair, there were some things that could have been improved at the AGM, although I do not think the committee could have anticipated the numbers that walked through the doors after the MVD talk.

The excuses about lack of information or lack of paperwork are merely tactics designed to divert blame now that these members are being questioned about their reasons for throwing out the Cavalier Club health proposal.
The proposal was clearly explained and these people knew what they were voting for.

I sat there and watched a regional breed club health representative twice get to her feet, walk to the microphone, and eloquently persuade and encourage a group of cavalier owners to throw out a reasonable and measured attempt to encourage members to scan their cavaliers.

You may begin to understand why it is such a hard & dispiriting task to make progress on health issues in this breed

Margaret C

Hi Jan,
I've been away for a while and picked up a copy of Dogstoday on my way back from the airport.I was pleased to see that your letter had been published:).
That was a substantial sum of money spent on the SGM.An expensive SGM but a low cost cannonisation.The Vatican should investigate because it costs them millions to produce even one Saint;).
The money spent on media training wasn't outlandish though and following the fallout from PDE it was probably important to update the skillset of the officers to deal with questions from the media.Thankfully the officers didn't resign because if they did it would have been a waste of money.To be fair though,money spent on training and education is always well spent,no matter what the organisation.

I've been away for a while and picked up a copy of Dogstoday on my way back from the airport.I was pleased to see that your letter had been published:smile:.

I confess that I have mixed feelings about this now, as the letter was written several months ago, and now seems out of date in regards to numbers of people scanning, which I am told has greatly increased since PDE. Still, you can only say what you feel at the time.

The Cavalier Committee and their Chairman are to be congratulated on the efforts they are now making.

I agree with this. Despite disliking earlier decisions taken by the Committee it's time to move on and support any efforts made by the Commitee and breeders who are scanning and supporting research.

I know a lot of members to this board are not interested in Cavalier Club politics.

Anybody who has, or wants to have, a Cavalier in their lives has to be aware of the health issues. I don't like the politics either, but I think it is important to follow what is happening and to read as much as possible - and here the internet is a wonderful tool - all sorts of research available from many sites. I can't honestly say I understand it all - but I am having a good try.:)

I find it interesting that no one who voted against the amendment is posting ANY comments about what happened and defending their decision?

Response from kennel club

Many of you who know me would know I would not let this matter rest. Here is the reply to my email to the Kennel Club outlining my fear for the breed and also my utter contempt at the breeders who voted against this motion.

"Thank you for your email. I have to agree with you, this is a most unfortunate decision, but it really demonstrates the difficult position the KC finds itself in. There is absolutely no compulsion for anyone to register their dogs with the Kennel Club and so this really limits what we can do. It is certainly true that the KC could require that Cavalier breeders can only register dogs from parents that have been scanned with an MRI. Unfortunately, I doubt that this would force the people who voted against this proposition to use MRI scanning. The limited value of a KC registration to them would not force them to use MRI scanning. So, this means that if the KC did adopt such a position, the ‘quality’ of Cavaliers on the database would improve, but these would represent a very reduced number of Cavaliers. Those people that voted against this proposition would still continue to breed Cavaliers, but now outside of any influence that the KC might exert. The solution lies in working with these breeders to ensure that they see the sense in MRI scanning, and that has to be down to encouragement and education."

Nanette

if the KC did adopt such a position, the ‘quality’ of Cavaliers on the database would improve, but these would represent a very reduced number of Cavaliers.
So quantity is preferable to quality...I see.....:eek:
Those people that voted against this proposition would still continue to breed Cavaliers, but now outside of any influence that the KC might exert.
So what do they actually think a typical top exhibitor with decades of sucess in the showring will do? Refuse to register with the KC,turn their back on the showring and retire to a genteel life of puppyfarming????:shock:
My poor bewildered brain needs some time to process this one.....:sl*p:

So quantity is preferable to quality...I see.....:eek:

So what do they actually think a typical top exhibitor with decades of sucess in the showring will do? Refuse to register with the KC,turn their back on the showring and retire to a genteel life of puppyfarming????:shock:
My poor bewildered brain needs some time to process this one.....:sl*p:

That email is certainly something for the Bateson Enquiry.

What do they mean when they say 'the limited value of a KC registration'? The Kennel Club has a monopoly on licensing dog shows. Only KC registered dogs can enter at those shows, only KC registered dogs can become Champions. These successful breeders need their cavaliers to be KC registered.

Nanette, can I put your quote on the Dog World comment page?

I wonder if someone could call a SGM to reverse this vote?

Margaret C

So quantity is preferable to quality?

So what do they actually think a typical top exhibitor with decades of sucess in the showring will do? Refuse to register with the KC,turn their back on the showring and retire to a genteel life of puppy farming

In a word Yes :mad:. I'm sure this makes perfect sense to someone somewhere, but not to me it doesn't. Though I admit I could never claim to be Brain of Britain. NOTE TO KENNEL CLUB ...In order to gain rosettes, prize money and prestige, one first has to enter Dog Shows under KC rules. One of those rules is Your dog has to be registered with the kennel club.

Not a very comforting thought to imagine someone like the author of that e mail imposing regulations on the Cavalier Club at any date in the future.
If anything illustrates the need for the Club to self regulate then this surely is it??
Sins

HI Margaret
Tks for your kind comment ,just catching up on the posts on CT and Cav Chat are these people so stupid, it seems they are ,but other ones who scan and health test to the best off their ability and are trying so hard for our breed but that other crowd are ones who are self destructing our breed and will they pls get out you are way to old and out of date you do lots more harm, you are destroying the breed and I don't give a TOSS what you did in the past pls get out you are not wanted the damage you have caused is immense.

I also realize there are more and more good heath focused breeders who are growing daily but do we want to be held back by these other obnoxious dinosaurs who will not change now is the time get rid them.Oh how wish I was a member ,and lastly cant these cretins who voted no be named and shamed then surely the buying public will not go near them and thus hopefully stop these bxxxxxx breeding by the power of the press and hence their money grabbing ways .OH if I only knew now ten years ago things would be so different I hope.

Yous
pet owner and no breeder

Brian Murtagh

C M I W SC

I wonder if someone could call a SGM to reverse this vote?

Margaret C

How would one go about asking for a SGM to reverse the vote.
Also I am at a loss as to why it was allowed. the reasons given that members did not understand what they were voting for seems far from a adequate explanation.
:bang: Nanette

Margaret have been trying to get into my email all day, seems my computor keeps having funny turns this week. So will let you know the author of the email from KC when it
starts playing again.

walk to the microphone, and eloquently persuade and encourage a group of cavalier owners to throw out a reasonable and measured attempt to encourage members to scan their cavaliers.
What were the points used by this individual in the effort to convince the members to dismiss the proposal?
Was the argument purely based on the technicalities of the voting procedure i.e. not enough copies of the proposal,insufficient time to debate the proposals or did the speakers actually argue against the merits of MRi scanning.
The identity of the individual(s) doesn't especially interest me but the substance of their argument greatly does.
Sins

What were the points used by this individual in the effort to convince the members to dismiss the proposal?
Was the argument purely based on the technicalities of the voting procedure i.e. not enough copies of the proposal,insufficient time to debate the proposals or did the speakers actually argue against the merits of MRi scanning.
The identity of the individual(s) doesn't especially interest me but the substance of their argument greatly does.
Sins

It had developed into a fairly chaotic meeting and some people did protest about certain procedural matters.
There were lots of people talking loudly at the back but, if I remember rightly, when this member spoke the argument was against the use of the breeding recommendations.

The second time she spoke two sentences were cherry picked from the start of the recommendations......

"These breeding recommendations are made using current information and in response to CKCS breeder request for guidelines. It has yet to be proven if this guide is appropriate"

She then announced she rested her case. This individual can certainly work a crowd, & would make a great politician

If she had continued with the next sentences it goes on to state.....

"The aim of these recommendations is to reduce the incidence of symptomatic syringomyelia (SM) in the breed not to create litters of puppies guaranteed not to have SM as the chance of producing an affected dog cannot be predicted without knowing the inheritance".

There are no false promises in these recommendations, just a genuine attempt to identify & breed away from a serious & painful condition.

Margaret C

Another snippet from Dog World

This little snippet was in the Opinions column of the Dog World Friday 27th March.

"Once again a decisive number of members of the Cavalier breed's parent club have shown they are not in tune with the spiritof the times regarding health testing. One can understand that they feel they have been pushed into a corner, but they really do need to appreciate that they must be seen to be doing all they can to keep the breed free of poblems"

Nanette

Back