• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Corticosteroids (prednisolon)

Jossu

Hi all :paw:

I know there has been some discussion on the use of corticosteroids to alleviete SM symptoms, but I thought to start this thread anyway. I would like to hear if any of your dogs have experienced somewhat long-term use of prednisolon or other similar drug? Our neurologist recommended prednisolon, and it has helped tremendously. Mauri hasn't scratched at all since he started using it. I know it may have serious side effects...

Best, Johanna

My last dog Leo (Chinese Crested x) was on Prednisolone 1mg 1x daily for aprox 13 years! His was for a skin condition rather than SM or anything ralated. But healthwise he was fine & had no complications regarding to long term use of the drug - hope that helps!

Oh - just to add, when his skin was very bad his dose would be upped to 5mg a day in one single dose for a few days. I was told that pred should only be given at night due to natural levels in the body.

Thanks for the info! Let's hope Mauri will be ok with the drug. He is on 5mg once a day. Our vet said to give the drug in the morning for the same reason you mentioned (natural levels of the body)! Puzzling :confused:

-Johanna

Abbey was on steroids for quite a long time due to her "allergies" and I expressed my fears and was told it was a very low dosage and not to be concerned at all. When I came on cavalier talk and started to read about sm I took her off of them--before he surgery the neurologist had her on gabapentin and omeprazole and it wasn't cutting it so he added the steroids back again and again I expressed my fear with him and he said the same thing--very low dosage. Not sure if I read what dosage yours was on but it might be something to ask also.

Back