• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need advice please.

It is really awkward with tissues though isn't it. As soon as I try to pull any mess off, it gets more stuck :yuk:

Yes, not ideal - but Rufus refuses to walk any further when he has anything stuck on him - from dog poo to a clinging twig! He just stops and looks at me as if to say "sort it out then".

Hope Dylan gets better soon.

from dog poo to a clinging twig! He just stops and looks at me as if to say "sort it out then".

:lol:

Just back from the vet. I was given three weeks of antibiotics and I already bought Pro-Kolin online so he has to have that with a diet of rice and fish or chicken and fish.

Ruby has colitis aswell sometimes so bad she's produced blood(a lot)from her back end. Vet used to have to keep giving her injections& tablets until last october i started her on pooch&mutt bionic biotic www.poochandmutt.com since then she's had very mild upset tummy about 3times,the improvement has been fab! it says to sprinkle over food but i give it in my hand just before feeding. Rubes loves it & cant seem to get it in quick enough! ive also kept her on the holland&barrett wheat bran the vet had recommended. i hope this helps:)

a pack of wet wipes& anti bacterial hand wash used to always be in my pocket for clean ups on walks LOl(y)

You might want to ask your vet if Dylan is developing a pancreatic insufficiency. Maybe they could try him on enzymes. Yellow poo is a symptom of that.

Do you have access to any commercial frozen raw diets in UK? That could possibly help him too.

Thanks Tupup, that looks good but Chappie has been really good for Dylan, dry food always upsets his tummy. We will be weaning him back onto that as soon as we get 3 days of firm stools.

Thanks Cathy, I'll look into enzymes. I don't like the idea of raw.

Pauline you can get natures menu nuggets over hear now which is a raw food but frozen in convenient nuggets... might be worth a try

i didnt mention Pauline its about 1 teaspoon full only for a 5kg dog sprinkled over normal food or mixed in, i didnt make that clear sorry. the reason i give it by hand 1st is only cos Rubes sometimes doesnt bother to eat her meal & it would all be going to waste but giving it 1st i know shes had it:) its great that you can get yours to eat chappie ive been told thats best if theyve got poorly tum, but she wouldnt touch it!

tupup, I must be looking at the wrong thing? It looks like a big bag of food on the link you gave, is this a powder?

He is getting a prebiotic which is in his Pro-Kolin. Never sure what the difference is between a prebiotic and a probiotic.

Kirsty, I don't agree with raw feeding. In theory yes but I don't think our meat is safe uncooked nowadays. And not after Dylan got infected with campylobacter. We don't know where he got it from as I am super hygienic in the home but it can come from raw chicken.

Hi Pauline,
Just caught up on this link. Im sorry Dylan is having a rough time.......Just wanted to send hugs and brotherly love from Leo.

Mel:luv:

Prebiotics are a kind of fibre that trigger the growth of beneficial bacteria in the large intestine.
Probiotics are actual live bacteria contained in the food we eat. They can (sometimes)remain intact throughout the digestive process, and make it to the large intesting where they grow and flourish and help regulate the intestines.

I think Dylan has had a lot of antibiotics Pauline. Antibiotics kill disease causing bacteria and the beneficial bacteria as well ,upsetting the balance of the flora in the large intestine.
I think he would certainly benefit from probiotics.
You can do this in a few ways.
Your health food shop can give you freeze dried probiotics in capsule form from a non dairy source.(If he has colitis keep him away from dairy products like yogurts).
I know I've said this before but a premium hypoallergenic food like Arden Grange may help.A dry dog food should almost always produce a more compact stool than a wet food, but AG produce a wet food as well (but without the probiotic). The probiotic wouldn't survive the heat in the canning process.
This food also contains chondroitin and glucosamine for joint health.
They do canned tripe as well and you can literally choose a yeast free,red meat free,dairy free,soya free,gluten free diet and avoid trigger foods without paying a fortune for the food.
Anyway, I hope the poor boy recovers and feels better soon.It's so stressful sitting under them when they're sick.
Sins

sorry for the delay in a reply Pauline,i stayed off my computer for the weekend cos i felt i was neglecting Rubes!:) Im glad Sins explained the diff between pre & pro biotics i couldnt have! you were on the right picture with pooch&mutt im sure,it does look like a big bag of dry food, i get the 500g bag, its kind of bits the size of rice grains ish. like i said its 1teaspoon per 5kg of dogs weight daily.it says on the pack "complementary food for dogs, created to maintain optimum digestive health & a fully functioning immune system" it really has helped Ruby & i promise im not on a commision!
i hope Dylan is feeling better already Gx

Back