• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New clicker training class

shippers

We have started a new clicker training class with Lois last week and really enjoyed it. This class was recommended to us and the trainers seem really good. The first week we were told not to take our dogs which I found a bit strange but the reason was the trainers were introducing us to the clicker and we got to practice with a disability dog - an adult German Shephard which was fully trained and responded to the clicker. Next week Lois will be attending the class so the fun will begin. Our homework this week is to start from basic and try to get Lois to sit with a hand signal and click when her bottom hits the floor then reward with a treat immediately. Has anyone had any good responses to training with a clicker? Any tips would be appreciated

I love clicker training. Timing is key on it. Have fun! I use a combination of reward and clicker training.

Right now, I am using the clicker for my stays, because my little pup has the sit and down, but no stays! I might not to install velcro on his bottom for a stay! lol

Keep us posted on how it goes.

I love the clicker training. I started clicker training with Dixie when she was 5 mo. old. It worked great. As gocamping said, timing is key. As
SOON as they do what you are asking click and treat. It REALLY works. Dixie is now doing agility and she was trained with the clicker for that as well. Good Luck and have fun..... PS another thing I like about clicker training is that it is all POSITIVE for the dog. They do what you ask, and they get a treat,...

The class is great! Lois was so good last week she managed everything and was rewarded with the clicker and treat. We're really enjoying it too :p

I haven't had Max in a class with clicker training but on the advice of Mindy's agility trainer (who trains with clickers) I was able to teach him "down" that way. We're currently working on "stand" which is another hard concept for him. I'm not sure I'm using it 100% correctly but it seems to be working very well.

Back