Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do some dogs stick out their tongues ALOT?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why do some dogs stick out their tongues ALOT?

She's always stuck out her tongue ALOT. Why do they do this?

As you can see she's feeling a bit better and getting a little bored with this situation.
    Linda, Georgia, USA
    Winston--shih tzu-male, Darby female tri, Bentley male blenheim and Chelsea, black-tan
    Abbey my beloved tri who is so embedded in my heart--RIP Sweet Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know...but goodness she's cute!! So glad to hear she's feeling so much better.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Default Like it

I love it when Josh sticks out his tongue -- maybe cuz it's so rare! He does it when he's really happy and enjoying really vigorous play! Cute pic!
    Hedy
    Joshie Blenheim 06/2008 Clara Noelle Blenheim 12/2008

Post Thanks / Like

Aww Abbey is gorgeous .

So glad to hear she is feeling better .
    Andrea
    Jasper
    21/Dec/05 - 28 August 2014 my best friend, my soulmate
    Gabby 8/Nov/07,
    Felix the cat 4/April/10

Post Thanks / Like

thank you. We're very glad also. We see her personality coming out finally. I'm sure once she's able to run and jump around we'll have our dear Abbey once again. Amazing how just one week ago I was a basket case and now I'm happy go lucky again--lol.
    Linda, Georgia, USA
    Winston--shih tzu-male, Darby female tri, Bentley male blenheim and Chelsea, black-tan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If her tongue hangs out all the time, talk to your vet -- there can be an actual inability for the dog to control its tongue -- I know of this problem affecting a dog but can't remember what causes it --nerve damage perhaps? Might be a consequence of SM? Don't think it is anything to cause worry, more a cosmetic appearance thing, but you might have a chat with your vet next time you are in just to see what s/he thinks.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Truman sticks his tongue out REALLY far right before he yawns, it's kind of cute. Miles doesn't do that at all...does Abbey do this right before she yawns or she just sticks her tongue out at random times?
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like

No not all the time but definitely alot we used to say it was her saying "I'm cute--look at me". Who knows though. At this stage nothing would surprise me. Definitely going to mention it the next time to the vet etc. I'm going to have to pay more attention to it to just see how much she does do it. She has always done it so we're definitely used to it.
    Linda, Georgia, USA

Post Thanks / Like

Linda - I've noticed that before in Abbey's photos. My experience with this is with older dogs who have lost teeth and so their tongues hang out to some extent for that reason. I've had an old Cavalier girl who actually had a very dry tongue as a consequence - her tongue was always hanging three or four inches out of the side of her mouth - and she was a tiny little thing. My guess is that perhaps as a consequence of her SM, Abbey holds her jaws a particular way that allows her tongue to slip out rather than her purposefully sticking her tongue out - in other words, it's involuntary. I agree that I'd ask the neurologist this when you have a follow up visit. I also think that it is a cosmetic thing only and shouldn't have other consequences or cause a lot of worry.

Pat
    Last edited by Pat; 27th March 2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: added a phrase
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, love her, she is pretty. She looks good there Linda. Does she protest at being in the play pen?

Oh sorry I missed what you wrote under her picture. Bless her, it must be frustrating for her not playing with the other dogs.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'