• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Why do some dogs stick out their tongues ALOT?

linderbelle

She's always stuck out her tongue ALOT. Why do they do this?

3388707246_7270b6a6df.jpg

As you can see she's feeling a bit better and getting a little bored with this situation.

Like it

I love it when Josh sticks out his tongue -- maybe cuz it's so rare! He does it when he's really happy and enjoying really vigorous play! Cute pic!

thank you. We're very glad also. :) We see her personality coming out finally. I'm sure once she's able to run and jump around we'll have our dear Abbey once again. Amazing how just one week ago I was a basket case and now I'm happy go lucky again--lol.

If her tongue hangs out all the time, talk to your vet -- there can be an actual inability for the dog to control its tongue -- I know of this problem affecting a dog but can't remember what causes it --nerve damage perhaps? Might be a consequence of SM? Don't think it is anything to cause worry, more a cosmetic appearance thing, but you might have a chat with your vet next time you are in just to see what s/he thinks.

Truman sticks his tongue out REALLY far right before he yawns, it's kind of cute. Miles doesn't do that at all...does Abbey do this right before she yawns or she just sticks her tongue out at random times?

No not all the time but definitely alot we used to say it was her saying "I'm cute--look at me". Who knows though. At this stage nothing would surprise me. Definitely going to mention it the next time to the vet etc. I'm going to have to pay more attention to it to just see how much she does do it. She has always done it so we're definitely used to it.

Linda - I've noticed that before in Abbey's photos. My experience with this is with older dogs who have lost teeth and so their tongues hang out to some extent for that reason. I've had an old Cavalier girl who actually had a very dry tongue as a consequence - her tongue was always hanging three or four inches out of the side of her mouth - and she was a tiny little thing. My guess is that perhaps as a consequence of her SM, Abbey holds her jaws a particular way that allows her tongue to slip out rather than her purposefully sticking her tongue out - in other words, it's involuntary. I agree that I'd ask the neurologist this when you have a follow up visit. I also think that it is a cosmetic thing only and shouldn't have other consequences or cause a lot of worry.

Pat

Last edited:
Oh, love her, she is pretty. She looks good there Linda. Does she protest at being in the play pen?

Oh sorry I missed what you wrote under her picture. Bless her, it must be frustrating for her not playing with the other dogs.

her teeth are really good. I've brushed them since we first got her and guess it has paid off. We just changed vets as you know and he mentioned how nice her teeth were. He even said he was surprised. Now I just looked at her and her tongue is in. Sometimes its out just a little and sometimes alot. Like I said I'm going to have to keep paying more attention to it.

Pauline she's doing really well in that regards. Sometimes she protests. Last night I had the other 3 outside and was trying to get some pictures and she was in our office and if she stands up on her hind legs like in that picture she could see me out the window and what I was doing. She was NOT pleased at the situation at all--lol. She was ticked--lol. I'm amazed really at why she doesn't protest more. I truly believe she actually knows that something major has gone down medically and I'm looking out for her. She has too or else it doesn't make sense at all. These guys are smart cookies as we all know. I think they know more than we think they do but I truly do think she understands. Also, my 3 pansies (Bentley, Winston and Chelsea) won't go out in the rain and get their pretty little feet wet so she saw me grab the leashes and the whole time I had them outside I heard her in here. Like I said she's really becoming herself again and it is sooooooooooooooooooooo dang nice to see after all this time.

Pat definitely going to mention it. She goes back on the 7th both to the neurologist and the dermatologist.

That picture above her tongue is really hanging out--its not always like that--its usually just out a tad--kinda cute out. You know its amazing how you get used to stuff. LIke on Greys Anatomy last night (my favorite show I might add) how Alex missed the boat on Lizzie's tumor and her seeing her ex-fiancee.

Boy am I rambling today. lol Rainy day in Georgia--lol.

I just went back and looked at alot of pictures out of curiosity and even one picture that I have when she was spayed--can see the incision her tongue is hanging out. According to the date in the picture she was about 6 months old so like I said its always been there.

Last edited:
Yes, even on your avatar photo her tongue is showing just a little bit. I really think it is the way that she holds her mouth or perhaps a slight weakness in her jaws.

PS - I'm a huge Grey's fan also; Izzy's diagnosis hit close to home as I had a malignant melanoma removed when I was 26. Difference was that I caught it early - early detection with melanoma is difference between living and dying. So don't ignore those moles - melanoma is aggressive and deadly after it metastasizes just as the show portrays. Alex missed the boat by not seeing the mole on her back a year ago - way too late by the time she was hallucinating about Denny!

Last edited:
Back