• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A week or so of walking :)

Basil

Hi Guys,

Had Baxter out on lots of lovely walks, now that his vaccinations are out the way. He is such a joy to take photos of!!!

3391341327_714bed3d60_o.jpg

3391357851_800c240016_o.jpg

3391367553_1326d48b5e_o.jpg

3392189782_687e0603c3_o.jpg

3391405215_4be078dd4a_o.jpg

3392222290_494835fde4_o.jpg

3391422411_534e7a73d3_o.jpg

The lady is my mother, she sometimes watches the dogs, and enjoys walking with us.

Hope you enjoy :)

Gary.

What a cutie. Those are come great shots, what camera do you use?! Some sort of DSLR if I'm correct?

What a beautiful place to walk and take pictures. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have adorable subjects. Great pictures..:p

Beautiful pictures Gary, do you rework them after using some program? Pictures 4 and 6 make him look only 3 inches tall!

Absolutely beautiful pictures! I would love to have that talent! Of course having beautiful dogs doesn't hurt! (y)

Beautiful pictures Gary, do you rework them after using some program? Pictures 4 and 6 make him look only 3 inches tall!

Hi Pauline,

What I am doing is all in camera. The effect I think you are seeing is known as "Shallow Depth of Field". Basically, by changing the "Aperture" of the camera, you are able to blur things dramatically in front of and behind your subject. Therefore using an extremely shallow Depth of Field, and focusing on Baxter, he should be pin sharp, and everything around him melts.

I take a lot of photos that way, as I feel it helps pop your subject to life, and remove a lot of distractions from the scene. When everything is blurred and melted around the focal point, you are normally instantly drawn to the focal point and the focal point should keep your attention more.

If everything is sharp and in focus, the eyes can wander and at times, settle in the wrong area.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone, really appreciate it.

Gary.

Hi Gary

Great photos again from you ,I feel I can put my hand out and stroke them.I am still messing around with the SB-900 flashgun impressed with it ,I have set my D80 on A Priority with th 85mm f.4 ,shutter speed 1/50 ISO 640 but I am not getting your pics ,still have a lot of learning and snapping ahead of me .Any guidance on my settings.

Hi gary

Is the African Grey yours ,my sister has one ,and can I ask any thoughts on my previos question
Tks
Brian

Hi gary

Is the African Grey yours ,my sister has one ,and can I ask any thoughts on my previos question
Tks
Brian

Sorry seem to have missed this!!

Yes the parrot is mine, lives with my mum though as she is out of work. Keep each other company :)

I will go look at previous question,

Gary.

Hi Gary

Great photos again from you ,I feel I can put my hand out and stroke them.I am still messing around with the SB-900 flashgun impressed with it ,I have set my D80 on A Priority with th 85mm f.4 ,shutter speed 1/50 ISO 640 but I am not getting your pics ,still have a lot of learning and snapping ahead of me .Any guidance on my settings.

Brian,

Did you go for the 85mm f1.4 version?

Gary.

Hi Gary

Yes its the 85 mm 1.4f ,but am also impressed with the sb 900 flashgun .

Tks and Rgds
Brian

Hi Gary

Yes its the 85 mm 1.4f ,but am also impressed with the sb 900 flashgun .

Tks and Rgds
Brian

OK lets ignore the flash for the time being. If you are able to get the dogs outside, great. Take someone along for help! :)

- Stick the camera on Aperture Priority.
- Choose f1.4.
- Choose Continuous Focus (C as opposed to S or M)
- Put it on high speed repetitive shooting
- Lie on the ground (Very important to get the head on view of Dog).
- Now call on ONE DOG to start with, from a distance of say, 40 to 50 feet
- Focus and shoot as much as possible as doggy runs to you

If you follow all these instructions, in a area with nice clutter free backgrounds (Big fields etc), you should get some awesome shots. In fact, the background should not matter hugely, as the f1.4 will melt it away.

Gary.

Also once done Brian,

Send me a raw file (Shoot in RAW, NOT Jpeg), and I will process it for you with a tutorial afterwards.

Gary.

Back