• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is a "small" hernia a "big" deal?

JerseyCav

New guy here. :)

I found a puppy I want to adopt. The breeder (reputable) told me that the puppy has a small hernia, and that it's no big deal. Do you agree? Do I definitely need to have it fixed by my vet, or is it something the little boy can live with?

Thanks!

That goes the same for us. Kosmo had his fixed when we had him neutered and Faith's when she way spayed. It wasn't a big deal aside from costing me another $100 on top of the surgery ;) Faith's mom was a mill mama, and she came out of the mill with a hernia so big it drug the ground :eek: - She had to get it fixed when she was spayed too. I know there are problems that can happen if it gets too big and it's left there - they can develop intestinal loop strangulation, so it's not a bad idea to get it fixed, or at the very least assessed by your vet :flwr:

My Zoey had a small umbilical hernia too. No big deal, the vet fixed it when she was spayed at 6 months of age. I wouldn't let it deter you from purchasing the puppy if he is the one that you want. :)

My rescue boy has an umbilical hernia but as he is 4 yrs and doesn't seem to be bothered by it,my vet has said to leave it for now.

It doesn't seem to trouble him at all.

I think Hernias are quite common. Heidi had one when we got her and she had it fixed when she was spayed think it cost only about £20 etc to do as was already under anasethetic - mums little cav has one but the vet has said it is fine to leave i wouldnt let it put me off the puppy :)

Charlie Brown has an umbilical cord hernia as well. The vet said she will repair it when he goes in for his neuter surgery. He is scheduled for this coming Friday. I don't think it is a huge deal to repair it. I think it is more putting them under anesthesia that is the concern. Mr. Brown has to be fixed though because I don't want to deal with an intact male marking and we also signed a contract with the breeder agreeing to have him neutered. While he's under he also will have two puppy teeth extracted that have not fallen out even though the permanent teeth have come in and he will have a microchip implanted. I think poor Charlie Brown will be feeling pretty lousy by Friday afternoon after having all of these procedures, but I would rather get them done at once than have to put him under again.

bondgirl--i'm so sorry. What was the cause if I so may ask?

I have 4 dogs and all 4 had hernias. I'm beginning to wonder what the percentage of dogs that DON'T have them??? lol On all 4 they were fixed when they were neutered/spayed.

I currently have a chap with an umbilical hernia, was going to get it sorted when he was being neutered but the vet decided that there was no need. It looks much worse than it is (big bump/lump on his belly), but is quite a small hernia, and it's causing him (and should never cause him) any problems. He doesn't even notice when it is touched and or when the vet had a poke at it.

If you would prefer to get it removed then talk to your vet about it, but it may just be a cosmetic problem and not need anything done to it.

My Basenji has a small hernia, the breeder told me that it was fine and the vets checked it out and said he wouldn't be bothered by it.

Our 9 month old cav had hernia which vet repaired for $40 while spaying our dog.

None of our goldens nor lab have had such problem.

Heather R

My Tanner has an umbilical hernia which we knew about from the breeder. We have just left it, even after he has been neutered, as it causes him no problems at all

Back