Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dreaded Symptoms Have Appeared

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy The Dreaded Symptoms Have Appeared

Ever since I joined this site and became aware of the prevalence of SM and MVD in Cavaliers, I made my self aware of all symptoms and I am always looking out for them to appear.

It is Holly that I am worried about as she is ticking one too many boxes of the symptoms of SM. She has always been a bit of a scratcher like if she was lying on my bed or the sofa and we called her to get up she'd always have a little scratch before she jumped down, this we put down to habit. Other things which have been happening more and more often are tail-chasing, scratching aroung her ears/neck area, she has never yelped though. She also licks everything, always has except in the last few weeks she has been licking her paws more than usual.

I am off on Easter Holidays next week so I'm going to take her to the vet then. The reason why I haven't gona sooner is because I have my Leaaving Cert this year and have Irish and French oral exams going on at the moment.

I don't think my vet is very clued up on SM, what do you reccommend I print off to bring into her? I have been trying to get videos of her scratching but by the time I have the camera ready she has stopped, I'll keep trying though!

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry. If you would like to PM me any time please feel free. You should find all you need on this web site, it's the sister site to this forum.

This page should have the link to the info you need to take to your vet but I clicked on it and the link didn't work on my Mac. Please let me know if it doesn't work for you.

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/diagnosin.../symptoms.html
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Could be SM, but could also be seasonal allergies (the paw licking). If they seem to have more problems at certain times of the year, that's always something to consider.

For most dogs with SM, the scratching, licking and/ or other symptoms are very noticeable (annoying scratching that keeps you awake, constant licking, or obvious bunny hopping/ air scratching, yelping, etc).

Remember, all dogs DO scratch and lick...it's really the amount or level of scratching that's important. It would almost seem obsessive if it is SM.

Keep a journal for your own sanity- how many times a day does she scratch and for how long? How many times does she lick, what does she lick, and for how long? You also want to keep notes about how many hours a day she is actually awake so you can get an idea of the % of awake time she is actually licking or scratching. That should help you gauge the level of obsessive licking/ scratching.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

I echo Chloe above, however my Molly did not show any classic signs, limping was her symptom, she has been unfortunately diagnosed with sm. Dougall however scratches and licks, he is clear but has allergies. The have both had MRIs.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

Like Molly, Riley didn't show any of the classic symptoms of SM except the head tilt - no scratching, no licking, no yelping, no apparent pain. Riley had imbalance issues and what I thought were very mild seizures which is why she had an MRI that confirmed SM. This is a very frustrating disorder, with so many other things that can mimic it. It's probably best to rule out other things first (allergies, etc) before asking for a referral to a neurologist. But do print out the info sheet from the link Pauline provided. It opened on my computer (not a Mac). Good luck
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    We went through a really rough time a few weeks ago with our boy Leo. He did show classic sign of SM. Eventually he was admitted to RVC in Cambridge where after keeing him in for a week they finally gave him an MRI. It didnt show SM!! I dont know who was more surprised me or the neurologist!! We are so lucky, although I know it could develop later on.
    Its horrible to have to go through this and all you can do is get it checked out and be aware of what you are looking for.
    I saw three vets before one of them said she thought it was SM.....check out all possibilities, there is an incredible amount of support here I found it wonderful...
    Good Luck

Mel

Post Thanks / Like

If like me ( i watch harley all the time now, looking for symptoms) i would get her tested just to put your mind at rest, otherwise you will send yourself crazy.
    What's the difference between a new husband and a new dog? After a year, the dog is still excited to see you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of your replies. I know it may seem like I'm jumping to conclusions here but I just have a feeling it's sm I hope I'm proven wrong though! It would be great if it was just allergies but I really don't think it is, she's almost four and hasn't had a change in her food, environment, grooming prouducts or anything else I can think of, but you never know. I am going to make an appointment for next tuesday and I will print off that info that you reccommmended Pauline.

I havn't been too well myself lately, I'm going to get bloods done on Friday so hopefuly Holly and I wil both get good results!

Thanks again,
    Leah

Post Thanks / Like

I have an appointment made for the vet on Monday, i will be sure to let you all know how we get on

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm just back from the vet and we came out with a whole lot more than we went in for!

When I described Holly's symptoms to the vet she knew straight away that it was SM that I suspected she had. She gave her an all over examination checked for fleas and dosed her for ear mites just in case that was causing the scratching. When she was checking the hinds, I knew there was something up from her expression. Turns out Holly has a luxating patella but it's so slight that she wouldn't even give it a grade.

Good news is that she has lost one kg in the past month and her heart is brilliant. We were sent home with Metacam and Arthri Aid, she's on the Arthri Aid for the patella and the Metacam is kind of an experiment, she will be in it for two weeks and if her SM like symptoms decrease with the pain-killer than she will be sent for an MRI. She also is on ear drops as she has a tiny ear infection.

I am quite happy to wait another two weeks and see how she reacts to the meds.
    What do you all think of my vet's approach?

I have some news about Bailey also but I'll put that in a seperate thread to avoid confusion.