Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dreaded Symptoms Have Appeared

Post Thanks / Like

Well done your vet, i think shes brilliant, i wonder if its worth getting a list of vets, county by county that are up on sm conditions, i guess they have to rule out the obvious first, good luck let us know how she does over the next few days, di
    What's the difference between a new husband and a new dog? After a year, the dog is still excited to see you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's a good, sensible approach. It is heartening when vets are aware of the condition and can take a step by step approach with the owner who is concerned.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, I will keep you updated over the next few days it will be interesting if the symptoms start to disappear..

Post Thanks / Like

will be keeping for you leah & looking out for your updates as im just about to unfortunatly post one very similar to yours. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tupup View Post
    will be keeping for you leah & looking out for your updates as im just about to unfortunatly post one very similar to yours. Good luck
    Wow! Me too! This is very, very disturbing. It seems like there are new cases of "i think my dog might have SM" popping up every week!! I think we should make a poll just to see how many of us have dogs that have diagnosed SM and how many really believe their dogs might have it.

Post Thanks / Like

On a recent trip to the neurologist with Abbey, her neurologist told me he had a patient that had 4 cavaliers and all 4 of them had sm. Boy if thats not a downer I don't know what is. It might be an interesting poll though. As alot of you know, I have a blog in regards to my experience with Abbey and my feelings etc. ALOT of people have contacted me so again there are people on the net searching for answers. I remember when I used to search for Abbey but unfortunately I was searching for stuff like:

licking feet
    scratching etc.

Unfortunately, I never came anything in regards to the sm. Cavalier Talk is the place that smartened me up. I wonder how many people before getting any kind of purebread dog do a search for health on the breed. We didn't but believe me we will certainly do it it in the future. I've learned alot with my experience on this. If I had known about sm even before getting Abbey I don't know if that would have stopped me or not. I also love this breed soooooooooo much that I don't know if it will truly stop me in the future either. Thats a tough call and fortunately I don't have to deal with that for a very long time. 4 dogs is ENOUGH lol.
    Linda, Georgia, USA
    Winston--shih tzu-male, Darby female tri, Bentley male blenheim and Chelsea, black-tan
    Abbey my beloved tri who is so embedded in my heart--RIP Sweet Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petcrazyme View Post
    Wow! Me too! This is very, very disturbing. It seems like there are new cases of "i think my dog might have SM" popping up every week!! I think we should make a poll just to see how many of us have dogs that have diagnosed SM and how many really believe their dogs might have it.

I only hope that we are all proven wrong. I must admit if I didn't have the info that I gained form this site I would have passed off Holly's symptoms as plain strange doggy behavior.

The only way I can describe her since we started her on pain-killers is 'frisky', she runs places that she'd usualy walk to and is keeping up with Bailey, however the scratching and other sm like symptoms don't seem to have decreased.

Maybe she is experiencing relief form the luxating patella even though I would have thought that a grade 1 wouldnt be causing her any discomfort? Any thoughts?

Here's the beautiful girl today:
    Last edited by -leah-; 8th April 2009 at 06:59 PM. Reason: added photo!

Post Thanks / Like

AW Holly you cutie! This is a funny one cos i said to a friend today i'd love to know how many people on here are dealing with sm! or does it just seem that way as this is the only place to find the right info? add me to your poll anyway! my friend said "youll have to get a different breed next time", i said No!theres none as good as our Rubes or prettier. So im with you there linderbelle, knowing what i know now im not sure it would put me off in the future either.
    Without CT i would have put this stuff down to just odd behaviour too. i wish i didnt have to know about any of it, if you know what i mean but im glad to be able to find out.
    im glad Hollys running about, its early days yet to have made a difference to her scratching, maybe tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

they're seems to be so many people worried about their dogs having SM including myself! Im making an appointment with the vet as scarlett has been excessivly scratching,ear and paw chewing,tail chasing etc and I cant help but be worried!I hope my vet takes the same approach as yours as im not sure he knows a lot about it either..
    Proud mummy of Scarlett!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
    they're seems to be so many people worried about their dogs having SM including myself! Im making an appointment with the vet as scarlett has been excessivly scratching,ear and paw chewing,tail chasing etc and I cant help but be worried!I hope my vet takes the same approach as yours as im not sure he knows a lot about it either..
    Good luck