• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The Dreaded Symptoms Have Appeared

I am going down the route of getting my dogs checked too, so add two more to the list. Where are Mri's carried out in Ireland, is it just UCD vet hospital, or does anyone know of anywhere else that does them?

Are you getting them checked out because your vet has told you to do this? Really this would be the only circumstance in which you would get an MRI and in this case, the vet will refer you. You can't just go in and have them done -- you need the referral. For anyone who is concerned their vet isn't picking up the problem, or taking the issue seriously, and believes they may be seeing SM, then I'd recommend going to any of the Dublin branches of Anicare (www.anicare.ie) to have your dog thoroughly checked FIRST.

If these experienced vets feel there is a chance of SM then they will refer the dog for an MRI scan. I would recommend speaking to Fintan who is usually at the Blanchardstown Anicare hospital.

I would NOT have the scan done anywhere in Ireland except through UCD.

There are many other things a vet needs to check for first before doing a very expensive referral for an MRI -- expect to pay in the region of euro1000 in Ireland.

Thanks Karlin,
Yes I am going through the process with my vet, checking and ruling out other things first, it looks likely that MRIs will be needed, but I was just wondering if UCD was the only place offering MRIs or if there was somewhere less expensive.

Last edited:
Just wanted to update you all on how Holly is getting on. As the days go by she is showing less and less symptoms of SM, no more head-rubbing, tail-chasing rituals in the bathroom or big scratches before she jumps down off the bed. So it looks like it was pain that was causing her to do these things so I guess now the next step is an MRI. In a way I'm relieved even though this means she prob has SM at least now that we know what's wrong and she go can be put on a treatment programme and live a happy pain-free life. We are going back to the vet on Thursday so I'll let you all know how we get on.. (y)

To get a diagnostic MRI that is really about the typical cost. You could take the ferry over to the UK and get a minimal MRI done but these are really for breeders to assess breeding dogs, not for caring for affected dogs, and by the time you add in the costs of travel it will likely work out around the same. MRIs are expensive because the machines cost millions. It is important IMHO to go someplace that has expertise in doing MRIs for this condition.

For both of you: if I had dogs that were symptomatic and medications helped, that is a pretty clear sign that they have SM and I'd question the value of getting an MRI given the cost. Unless you feel you will be opting for or considering decompression surgery -- in which case you need an MRI -- I would work with a vet and neurologist who is willing to treat on the basis of clinical signs. For example, if a dog responds to frusemide and/or gabapentin there aren't many other things it could be than SM.

im so glad youve seen an improvement in Holly leah even tho' it confirms your fears, theres a relief in knowing what youre dealing with isnt there. a plan of action also helps! Good luck for thursday x

To get a diagnostic MRI that is really about the typical cost. You could take the ferry over to the UK and get a minimal MRI done but these are really for breeders to assess breeding dogs, not for caring for affected dogs, and by the time you add in the costs of travel it will likely work out around the same. MRIs are expensive because the machines cost millions. It is important IMHO to go someplace that has expertise in doing MRIs for this condition.

For both of you: if I had dogs that were symptomatic and medications helped, that is a pretty clear sign that they have SM and I'd question the value of getting an MRI given the cost. Unless you feel you will be opting for or considering decompression surgery -- in which case you need an MRI -- I would work with a vet and neurologist who is willing to treat on the basis of clinical signs. For example, if a dog responds to frusemide and/or gabapentin there aren't many other things it could be than SM.

Hi Karlin, Holly is on Metacalm at the moment and is responding well to it although she's not symptom free. Have you any experience with using Metacalm for dogs with SM or have you heard anything about it? At our last visit to the vet she said the plan was that if Holly responded to the meds then she should be scanned. She's insured so I presume that why the vet is pushing for her to be scanned :confused:

Well I just think that unless there's a good specific reason to scan the dog -- either the owner wants an exact knowledge of what is happening and have Sm confirmed by MRI rather than indications from clinical symptoms, or to scan for breeding or research -- I would not personally scan. I have scanned all four of my dogs for research and for one of those, also diagnosis to consider whether to go for surgery.

Metacam is the lowest level starting point for treatment as you can see on Clare Rusbridge's treatment document which I think you downloaded?

Vets would likely push to have an MRI done to get a definite diagnosis. I just think that given the cost of this one testing tool, and (as a lesser issue) that it involves using general anaesthesia which always carries a slight risk, and if the dog is symptomatic for SM and everything else has been pretty much ruled out, I'd hold firm on avoiding an MRI unless I was considering the option of surgery.

If metacam isn't enough then definitely the vet should be thinking of going on t the next step of Clare's treatment diagram which is generally something like frusemide.

Everyone is different though -- this is just what I would do. If I had a younger symptomatic dog I'd probably MRI to see what the situation was because I'd be more likely to opt for surgery given that early symptoms tend to mean a more severe form of SM where medications may not help for very long.

There are no definite answers for anyone -- and no definite ways of proceeding with this condition.

You can also ask for a basic neurology referral without opting for an MRI.

I think I did download that treatment programme it must be on the other computer. I will have to discuss all options with the vet on thursday. Personally I'd like to have her scanned just so that we know for definite and so that we know the location and size of the syrinxes.

Also I just realised if Holly does have SM I will be the only one at home without a neurological illness, my Mam has multiple sclerosis and Bailey has epilepsy. It's a strange life eh?!

So, Holly was back with the vet last Thursday, I don't really have anything to report as our consult was interrupted by an emergency. However the vet was happy enough when I told her that Holly was responding well to the Metacam and she said we'll speak about getting her scanned when I'm finished my exams.

Also, I think I mentioned in a previous post that Holly has a luxating patella, three weeks ago it was just about a grade one and on Thurday the vet thought it felt worse and that she needs surgery but not until she loses more weight.

Anyway, for the past three weeks Holly has been on Metacam and pretty much symptom-less apart from the odd scratch, except for today when she has been scratching, paw-licking and head-rubbing for most of the evening. Is it normal for dogs to have flare-ups like this even when on meds? Should I call the vet and let her know?

It's normal, and metacam is generally only a very basic pain reliever. Some dogs do OK only on metacam but for most (at least most affected dogs that I know of) it eventually isn't adequate. Also changing weather -- pressure drops as unsettled weather comes in -- often affects cavaliers with SM Leo is always more symptomatic during weather like today, as rainy weather moves in.

I had to pop into the vet today to collect Bailey's montly perscription. It was the vet herself who served me so I just mentioned it to her about how Holly was acting yesterday she just said to keep a close eye on her and if she continues showing symptoms to bring her back in and we will discuss a different treatment.

Back