• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vaccination questions

petcrazyme

I've read here in a recent post that vaccinations should only happen every 3 years. My vet has notified me via mail that my cav will soon be ready for her booster shots. She turned one in March. I questioned them about over-vaccination and they said that my dog will require boosters this year and then vaccinations would occur less frequently (can't remember if she said every 3 yrs or not). For those of you who understand this whole 'over vaccination' issue ..does this sound right?

Also, are there any vaccines that are given every year? What should be given every 3 years?

Thanks

Karlin has info on vaccination and links under Health Library.
After the one year of age "booster" vaccines generally the schedule is every 3 years but check out the Health library-scoll down the board.

A dog does need the one year booster (one year from the end of the puppy schedule finishing) but then I go to every three years for CORE vaccines and annually for leptospirosis and as needed -- every six months or so -- for kennel cough given that I travel for work and board the dogs on and off.

Three years is what all the vet schools now recommend. Vets are much slower to adopt this recommendation. Most vets will still send annual reminders. I simply ignore them and have discussed the three year preference and my vets are fine with that. It may be necessary to be polite but firm with vets. It is your dog -- there is not requirement to vaccinate annually except for the issue with some boarding kennels wanting an annual cert. I think every year is too much.

I would still go every year to the vet for a basic health check and for their lepto. (y) Also some places will require an annual rabies vaccine (we don't need rabies in Ireland and the UK).

I'd recommend printing out the UC Davis recommendations (one of the vaccination links in the Health section of the Library). UCD is one of the world's most prominent vet schools. Just tell your vets you want to follow their recommended schedule.

I think there is a 3 year distemper shot in the works, it may be used in some states. I do think they should have bordatella every year, they can get kennel cough from ANY exposure to another dog, at the park, through a fence, trip to Petsmart, etc. Of course there is a 3 year rabies. You can do blood titers to check the immunity in their blood, but this is usually more expensive than the shots! I have heard differing arguments on how often to do shots. So far I still do our dogs every year or so, but they do get 3 year rabies.....

Back