• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

what does this behaviour mean

harleyfarley

Why does Harley hide things, like i gave hime a hyde strip and ive found it under chairs, behind cushions, etc, does anyone elses dogs do this and what does it mean? Should i find it or leave it, di

I think it's normal dog behaviour - if you don't want it now, stash it away for future use. Reminds me of Charlie, my first Cavalier: at about a year old he proudly carried a small bone out into the garden - Look at me, I'm a big dog now! - and scraped away the leaves under a tree, deposited the chew and covered it up. Went out the next day to retrieve it - but it had gone! Probably stolen by a neighbouring cat.Charlie scraped and looked, and scraped again - no bone. You have never seen such a disappointed little dog in your life!! I gave him a chew, but he had been so proud of his first attempt at burying a bone...

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I think this is normal behaviour. My cavalier used to hide her hide strip in different places around the house and forget where she hid it! I would know when she was looking for it and like a fool around with her trying to find it for her. Only trouble was when she found a new hiding place and not one of her usual corners! Often spent a lot of time searching!!!!!!!!!

Leo does this,
If I give him a rawhide, he buries it under the gravel in the garden. I always assumed it was normal behaviour.

if he hides it somewhere and you don't want it there, ie couches and such move it, but it is just like us putting things in the fridge for later.

Yep, I'd agree it is normal. Just like other wild animals burying a carcass or storing nuts for a winter day. Bandit used to hide his chews when he was really small. It was so cute! If he caught you watching him, he'd go move it to a new spot. He'd put them in shoes in the closet, in corners, behind furniture, etc. He seems to have outgrown it, though.

Back