• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

bump with puss

Megan

My 3 yr old cavalier Sophie, has bump on the top of her hind leg aproximatly 1" to 1 1/2" down from her tail. I noticed she seemed to be licking the area quite often and pulled back the hair to take a closer inspection when a fair amount of white puss came out of the bump leaving a tiny open sore any thought as to what this may be?

I know my shih tzu has a large fat deposit---kinda gross really but its not hard. Abbey had a couple kind of hard bumps--during her sm surgery they removed the one on her head but she still has the one on her rear. They aren't like a pimple at all. Harder. To relieve your anxiety and I'd want to know too I'd call your vet in the a.m. I know I'm not one to run to the doctor or run my dogs either--guess that goes from when I was in college I worked for doctors and heard about that people go to the doc to much etc. Even with Abbey George has been doing 90% of the calling but I'm getting better and if I'm not comfortable I'm on the phone. Heck we pay them enough and if I have any concern at all now I'm on the phone.

i would clean the area with a little diluted detol and keep a eye on it for a day or two you could try some anti-histamine cream as long as it wont get licked off.

If it is at the top of the leg but near her bottom, it could be an abscess from her anal gland. One of mine had similar and that is where the abscess actually burst.

It sounds like an abscessed anal gland to me also. Those are very painful and require a vet.

Please take her to the vet, as she will need to have it cleaned out and probably an antibiotic. Hope she feels better soon. :flwr::flwr:

I think a trip to the vet is the best plan, it looks quite sore. Thank you for all your advice.

just an update on Sophie, the vet said it was an abcess brought on by a bite or scratch. It was not her anal glands and has healed up nicely. The vet gave us antibiotics and told us to use a warm compress as well. Thanks for your help and advice!

Back